• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Norman Barrows

term for "active targets list"

This topic is 1900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

if a scene graph is a list / tree etc of what to draw, what is the list of active objects (players, enemies, monsters, etc) in a game called?

i tend to refer to it as the list of "active targets".

i've seen a term used for it, but can't recall what it was.

Advertisement

Live List? <- everything that is being updated

Entity List? <- may contain items not being updated though

Actors? <- have seen this used for objects that are being updated and animated but can mean anything really, e.g. being updated and having AI/user control run on them

perhaps i organize things differently.

i typically have some data structure(s) for the "world map" (stuff that doesn't get updated), and a data structure with a "list of active targets" (stuff that does get updated).

applying this to a fps title,  the level map would contain info about where badguys should start. when the player came within activation range, the bad guy would be added to the list of active targets, and removed from the levelmap (or flagged as having been activated already).

how is this normally organized?

although i'd personally probably design a fps shooter so the type and number of badguys on a level was randomly generated each time, badguys started at random locations,  you would have random encounters, etc. IE less "canned" / hard code scripted and more simulation-like. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!