• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grain

Matrix.CreateScale() is axially aligned.

This topic is 1839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Using the Matrix.CreateScale() method or any of it's 6 overloads I can only create uniform or axially aligned scales. I wan't to be able to scale objects along an arbitrary axis. How can I do this. I assume I will have to roll my own function but my knowledge of matrix math isn't up to that task.

So amusing I have a 3 element unit vector and a scalar how can I create a matrix that stretches an object in the direction of the vector the amount of the scalar. 

Advertisement

Could you be a little more specific. Matrix.CreateScale(myUnitVector * scalar) will do what it seems like you are asking but maybe I'm missing something in your question.

In 3d, let's say you want to scale along 3 axes defined by v1, v2 and v3, scales s1, s2, s3

Let R = matrix with rows v1, v2 and v3, S = matrix with s1, s2, s3 along leading diagonal

Apply the matrix R-1SR to the model (i.e. apply inverse rotation to get the axes mapped along the x, y and z axes, scale in that reference frame, rotate back).

The axes must be linearly independent (otherwise R won't be invertible).

If that doesn't work, the transpose surely will - it depends whether you use row-major or column major matrices. So if it doesn't work with v1, v2, v3 as the rows of R, use those vectors as the columns of R instead ;)

EDIT: If the axes are mutually perpendicular then R-1 = RT (i.e. inverse( R ) = transpose( R )). The axes must be normalised (i.e. length 1) for that though.

EDIT2: You can just multiply the 3 matrices together to get a transform to apply rather than apply each matrix transform separately.

EDIT3: I see you just want to scale along 1 axis. You need to construct a mutually perpendicular axis set then for the matrix R, and scale the other 2 perpendicular axes by a factor of 1. You can do that (construct a mutually perpendicular axis set) with cross products.

Edited by Paradigm Shifter

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!