• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
inkdrips

Advice wanted for budding game developer

This topic is 1922 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a novelist. Interested in writing my own games, I'm also an amateur cartoonist. So this is where I'm coming from with my interest in game design. I used to write small pixelated games in BBC BASIC on an Archimedes BBC Micro emulator. After that I learned a bit of Logic in high school and got me a 98% in the algebra exam. Because I was able to learn it from books on high school certificate level. After that I moved away from maths and computers, spent more time learning filmmaking (4 years) got a degree in creative writing. And now my novel. But I'd like to get into game design and I've decided to attempt to learn Actionscript, Unity and Liberty BASIC. Because they are about my skill level at the moment. And I just want to get some ideas down and start to make them into something I can see. Unity is the main one I'm interested in (yes I know it's not a language.) Does anyone out there with some experience have any advice for a not-great programmer, but motivated guy with an aptitude for design, good work ethic and a great imagination?

Advertisement

My advice is to pick a language and get comfortable with it.  At that point, scripting in Unity will be much easier (assuming you are picking up either C# or javascript... both are similar and both have great real world applications that can be used with it)

Don't try to sprint before you even know how to stand up.

Unity is a great tool but you may want to consider Game Maker Studio . It would allow you to focus more on the design aspect, 2D games might work well with your cartoonist skills, and the Game Maker tool is still fairly powerful and cross platform. There are a number of 2D frameworks for Unity however if that is what you want to use.

I always suggest starting with a 2D game before trying to tackle any 3D project. 3D games have a lot of layers of complication and it sounds like 2D may work better for your skillset anyway.

Good luck!

According to many people on the internet it doesn't essentially matter what language you learn as your first language.

So keeping that in mind I decided to learn the language that I already have a ton of books for - which is C# and C# is one of the Unity languages. Yay!

First, I do plan on making 2D games at least to start with.

My two first game ideas are:

1) an online game that behaves like a social network.

2) an rpg with digital card game elements.

My plan is to take the simplest core of the game and attempt to implement it, once I have a grounding in C#.

Then to iterate on top of that core until I have a working prototype of the vision I have for the game.

Then keep building on top of that.

My rate of learning is to work through my nine books on C# and XNA at a rate of 30 pages each day.

I'm already 30 pages in and I'm not blind or insane.

Does this sound sensible?

Edited by inkdrips

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!