Easy-to-use Version Control on Windows? Needs to be able to easily ignore certain files.

Started by
27 comments, last by ilreh 9 years, 10 months ago

Mercurial is the best balance of simplicity and provides a modern source-control tool.

You can use TortoiseHg which is very similar to TortoiseSvn so you'll have a low learning curve there.

git is a bit more powerful than Mercurial and it's a bit more complicated to use but they have very similar core features.

I don't see much reason to use any version control tool other than mercurial or git. If you have a shared/map Windows drive then you have what you need to get started.

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement

Chalk up another vote for TortoisHG and for SourceTree. Both are pretty decent.

Git or Mercurial. Both are extremely identical, both have awesome UI's, both have great command line.

Canonicals Bazaar gets my next vote

As a person who works on Web and Software on Linux, Mac, and Windows, GIT has been my go-to everywhere.

Signed: Redacted

I use git too at home and at work. I really love its ability to create branches and merge code fast. I am a bit worried about its behaviour regarding binary files, but so far we use it to store code for our game and assets and git works fine. If you need preconfigured git server for you, you can use github or bitbucket. The last one allows you to have a couple of private projects shared between no more than five people, and it is faster than github.

I use git with SourceTree for my personal projects. It makes source control really painless. Using git with command line is not that bad either though there is a slightly higher learning curve for it.

Plastic SCM really, really easy. Or TFS Express.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Like many others said git or mercurial would be perfect. I myself prefer mercurial even though they are very similar and either will do. I like mercurial because of the sane cmd line interface and branch flexibility. For instance if I want a perm named branch I got it or temp through bookmarks. I even have the option for stacked patches. All of this follows a nice clean easy to remember interface.

One more vote for Git if not too late for that.

I used SVN a lot (even home repositories for all kind of stuff) and was one of those "don't fix it if it isn't broken" guys towards version control, looking sceptically at this git-"hype". However one day I had to learn/use git because work demanded it. It easily outperforms SVN in every way and made all sourcecode managing a piece of cake. So if you're a die-hard SVN user you might consider trying git for your next project. (don't know about mercurial though, heard it's similar to git)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement