Sign in to follow this  
Stormynature

Online Game Distributors List for Indie Game Developers

Stormynature    5198

yup tongue.png except one beta site "indiepub" (turned out to be a bad link -- found them through other sites) which hung when I tried to access them. I think the list is fairly complete bar some possible mobile game publishers. So if no real response in 24 hours I will tag them with platform and type and hang them over in Indie resources and then move onto another list. This list is expanding more than I realised it would, so the more time on the tracking of sites will be spent.

Also I suspect there are some game publisher/distributors that are not English based i.e. possibly Arabic, Spanish etc. If anyone does know of any of these sites can you please throw a link in and some basic details as to the platforms and types that they publish games for - would be much appreciated.

Edited by Stormynature

Would it be possible to add between parenthesis or something which platforms does each of those distributors support? So those who are targetting a platform in particular can avoid wasting time checking those that aren't relevant to them.

Stormynature    5198

I'd like to throw out there you have a couple links that are Australian based. Happen to have the generic ones or do these redirect to the appropriate region?

Unfortunately yes - some of them are redirecting to regional settings when I link through to them with one exception (playism) where I had to choose the English settings, as my Japanese is just plain awful. I am hoping to establish the links directly to the relevant page for Indie submissions but these work for a stand in at this time.

Are they actually a distributor? Looks like they just review games, and provide downloads for files related to that game (like patches and such).

It definitely has a game-store-y presentation though.

This one is somewhat a weird one as being a customer of them (they are an ISP company) I wasn't even aware of this aspect till I came across the link through one of the multitude of sites I have been trawling through. As it was identified as being Indie friendly I added it but I haven't delved fully into the site itself beyond knowing that they do provide some mobile games at least. Fortunately they are a local telephone call for me so I can pursue that one more directly as to the truth of the matter. However if this turns out to be a new evolution in the case of ISP's shifting into game distribution, this list may need to be reworked at a future point, indeed the entire nature of game distribution/publishing may become a great deal more complicated.

As mentioned in this post though -- It is my intention before they get linked into the Indie resources that they will be appropriately categorised and linked with the best page option available.

Stormynature    5198

Would it be possible to add between parenthesis or something which platforms does each of those distributors support? So those who are targetting a platform in particular can avoid wasting time checking those that aren't relevant to them.

This list is destined to be broken down and hung into a new section called "Indie Resources" So basically yes, each link will be tagged with such things as "Windows PC" "Mac" "Linux" "Android" (Please note these examples will probably alter to more technically correct ones) etc i.e. sufficient information that you should be able to extract what is relevant to you fairly easily. Hope this helps smile.png Just for the love of god don't expect it immediately....mucho mucho work being done to generate resource lists for a lot of different areas as well I want to refine these links to provide as close an access point to the actual indie submission page as possible.

Edited by Stormynature

However if this turns out to be a new evolution in the case of ISP's shifting into game distribution, this list may need to be reworked at a future point, indeed the entire nature of game distribution/publishing may become a great deal more complicated.

Didn't mobile carriers attempt this during the J2ME era? (and in fact, still keep doing it in some countries) I mention that because they're probably similar enough to ISPs in that both offer a service to a network, especially these days that practically all cellphones can connect to internet (so in a sense carriers already double as ISPs, albeit somewhat specialized ones).

Of course this case could be just the ISP branching into unrelated services just as a way to expand its business and is probably also involved in other stuff (not uncommon from many companies - I mean, does anybody know that Sony is in the insurance business, and that it's their most profitable branch actually?)

Well, many ISPs have their own webportal, or partner with a webportal like Yahoo!. Many webportals have an online game part of the portal.

Yahoo! Games is an important one.

Some game developers add demo versions of their games to web portals - the web portals get the ad revenue, and the developers get to have a "Download full version" button in their game link back to their personal purchase page for that game on the developer's own site.

Stormynature    5198

Well, many ISPs have their own webportal, or partner with a webportal like Yahoo!. Many webportals have an online game part of the portal.

Yahoo! Games is an important one.

Some game developers add demo versions of their games to web portals - the web portals get the ad revenue, and the developers get to have a "Download full version" button in their game link back to their personal purchase page for that game on the developer's own site.

Gosh darn it man! At least you could have got me the dev related link for them so I don't have to hunt it down :P

Lol - I never put a game on them, so I wouldn't know the correct link. smile.png  Looking around, I can't find it either!

This old 2003 link claims that Yahoo! gets their games from 3rd party sites, and you have to go through them. But that was ten years ago - which sites do they go through now in 2013? mellow.png

There seems to be alot of shareware sites, actually, so that might be a separate category in itself.

I actually have an Excel spreadsheet I've been collecting for some time with all the game distributors, news sites, and gaming forums that I could find indexed on it by category. Kinda messy though, and the categories aren't very consistent! This kind of stuff needs to be available in a community updatable way like a wiki, or it gets out of date surprisingly fast.

Edited by Servant of the Lord