• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad Muresan

I need a 2d cross-platform framework

This topic is 1893 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello community !

For  a long time I used Love2d which it is a fremework in Lua , for a little time I have been using python but I dont like it because I need to be worried to much about the spaces between lines sad.png .

So I am asking you a 2D(if it is capabile of 3D is ok) framework cross platform , pc , mac , linux , android the language dosent matter at all.

Please do not recommend me Java/Libgdx because I can not find any good tutorials for it , Monogame same sad.png

Edit 1: My goals are to make a game like super meat boy or FEZ(only 2d view the 3d view not) or Terraria,so if the framework that you recomand me is for this kind of games you should leave a comment , thx!

Edited by vladmihail

Advertisement

You didn't say free, so I'd suggest GameMaker Studio.  The price is about to go up on the Master Collection, but right now it is $499

It has been said that GMStudio is Unity for 2D games.  What once was a kids toy kind of thing is actually turning out pretty good.  There are plenty of export options, including Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Android, iOS, Tizen, Windows 8(as in the Javascript for tiles things too), HTML5, and Windows Phone 8.  The IDE does all of the importing of media for you once you load it all in, and though there is a drag&drop coding thing, the best way to go is called GML(Game Maker Language).  It is a scripting language with similarities to C/C++/Javascript/Delphi and can do about anything you could ask for.  Also, the soon out 1.2 version is going to include Shader usage, and if you have purchased it(or the Master Collection which includes it) code compilation, which will take all of it all the way into native code instead of interpreted code, so even the quality of games will begin to go up with these options.

You said you didn't want to use LibGDX because of the few tutorials. I'd recommend sticking with LibGDX for a little while then decide if you want to continue. The "Getting Started" page should help. They've got an official wiki, and an unofficial wiki that will help you get started. The JavaDocs are also available. The people on the forums are very helpful and you can also post here for LibGDX help. If you need help faster, there is a LibGDX IRC channel as well. Many of the contributors to LibGDX frequent the IRC. Plus, LibGDX's source is available if you want to look at their implementation of something. The JavaDocs and wiki are getting better all the time with user additions.

How about using Citus Engine? It's free and easy to use. It's ActionScript 3.0 and can be exported on various devices through AIR technology. Also it takes advantage of Stage3D for high performance 2D graphics (Starling API) or 3D graphics (Away3D API). It has many tutorials and free examples and also has some built in platformer functionality to help you get started quickly.

Try SmoothStep2D: http://ss2d.wordpress.com/support/

Is an Javascript framework that uses the canvas element to render the scene, can use both context 2d and webgl, and works on everything that can runs HTML5. You can use it in web-browsers, mobile apps with a fullscreen webview, windows 8 desktop app, and on any other OS desktop in a webkit-window app or something similar. 

Edited by Gallo

How about using Citus Engine? It's free and easy to use. It's ActionScript 3.0 and can be exported on various devices through AIR technology. Also it takes advantage of Stage3D for high performance 2D graphics (Starling API) or 3D graphics (Away3D API). It has many tutorials and free examples and also has some built in platformer functionality to help you get started quickly.

I really like Citus Engine , thanks for share !

you could also check out unity.  its ment to be 3d but has many plugins for 2d, though most require payment.  You can use unityscript(similar to javascript) as well as C# and Boo.

Edited by moneal2001

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!