Sign in to follow this  
Sik_the_hedgehog

Amusing glitch gallery

OandO    1566

I don't have a screenshot or video of this (and it's been fixed now), but I was working on a physics-based walk cycle for a 2D character a little while ago. Spamming the left and right buttons would cause you to lift off the ground and fly away...

sunandshadow    7426

Though this doesn't beat some bug I caused some time ago while rewriting some climbing enemy, basically I forgot a check and the enemy would literally hump the wall, suitable animation and all o_O I'm not sure I'm allowed to show that here without getting banned though XD

Assuming the enemy is clothed, or some kind of animal clothed by its fur/scales/whatever, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. wink.png  But when in doubt, you can link to an image instead of pasting it right into the thread and mark the link "possibly NSFW" or otherwise explain why people may not want to click it.

Edited by sunandshadow

slicer4ever    6760

*recreates bug*

You all have been warned (NSFW?). Sorry for framerate, I wasn't going to pull off a 60FPS animated GIF. Amusing how the background loop is near perfect (should have waited a few more frames I guess?)

Also what the— it seems to have gotten worse since the last time o_O

that's totally safe for work mate...also, very funny.

Juliean    7068

Something that so happend to me today, playing around with some alpha blending settings:

[URL=http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3352/z4m8isbn_jpg.htm]z4m8isbn.jpg[/URL]

7m5qfxx2.jpg

Not, I did not feed my PC acid, though it looks like it ;) This is the effect of a certain alpha blending setting, which should result in subtractive blending. Well, almost.

makuto    874

I'm a little late, but here's my first 2D animation program:

YbaVUVS.jpg

This is the intended result:

1Ci0WuY.png

If you look at the time (7:44 AM on glitch, 7:40 AM on working), I actually glitched it up after I was finished with it (must've been the pink background, holding everything together like a bro)

Edited by makuto

slicer4ever    6760

I'm a little late, but here's my first 2D animation program:

YbaVUVS.jpg

This is the intended result:

1Ci0WuY.png

If you look at the time (7:44 AM on glitch, 7:40 AM on working), I actually glitched it up after I was finished with it (must've been the pink background, holding everything together like a bro)

i have serious questions on how you achieved such a glitch=-).

makuto    874

LOL, time travel was definitely involved! Let's see if I can clone the repo at that time and see what was wrong...

UPDATE: I couldn't get the code at that period in time, but it was probably unrelated to not erasing the screen due to the way I always start projects. I'm pretty sure all of it was drawn every frame!

I tried to reproduce it editing only the settings, but I believe it may have been a bug in the code when I made the settings configurable from file. Here's the original spritesheet if you want to see it. I don't think it's possible to draw this without redrawing the image at least twice per frame, so the screen might not have been updating (although that wouldn't make too much sense because every time I update the window I clear it; it's impossible to not to with my API).

If you really want to know, check out the repo  (tester working and animation working code; use history in top right to see older code; the bug happened April 10 at 7:44 AM) and figure it out yourself :)

Edited by makuto

slicer4ever    6760

Taking a quick guess, the sprite was moving around without the background being erased properly.

if that were true, the entire screen would be smeared, unless he teleported to random positions, rather than smoothly scrolling around, that's unlikely the reason.

Just using scaling as-is would be better and safer =P

And yeah, I had the rotation bug once (with integers, which only made it worse), although granted I was just testing if rotation worked at all instead of actually implementing animation (since I always tend to get rotation wrong in the first try). Basically I had a spaceship and rotated it a bit every frame. Except it ended up shrinking horizontally while spinning until it vanished XD Could make for a cool teleport effect I guess!

(and no, I don't have that project anymore, so no screenshots ._.)

EndersGames    128

My last glitch i had in game i recently made was with the scrolling credits.

I put the text position in integers and the math used to update it was in float. So when the delta was calculated it was less then 1. It just sat in the same place until the frame rate dropped enough. (never)

Changing the position to float made it silky smooth.

Mathucub    200

This one was really cute. Our scene's have a very wide range between the near and far planes, so by

10% from the near plane the default depth buffer under dx9 was burning 99% of the floating point resolution.

Had to switch to a linear depth buffer in the vertex shader. First pass I was going clip/w -> clip depth without

transforming back.

The Z Fighting stopped, but it totally confused the perspective texturing.

It was bad enough that the lines weren't straight, but even worse--the texture moved around inside the meshes as they

moved around the screen!

RLS0812    3043

What a simple math error can do to your rendering engine ...

Math_Error.jpg

The problem code

xlist.add( (cordX - p.getPlayerX() ) * tile_size );
ylist.add( (cordY - p.getPlayerY() ) * tile_size);

How is should have been

xlist.add( ((cordX - p.getPlayerX() ) + offsetX ) * tile_size  );
ylist.add( ((cordY - p.getPlayerY() ) + offsetY ) * tile_size );