Amusing glitch gallery

Started by
42 comments, last by Clockworking 8 years, 11 months ago

I thought it may be a good idea to have a thread where we could post about bugs (or incomplete behaviors) that happen in our code that result in rather amusing outcomes (as opposed to just a crash or an erroneous number or something like that). The wackier the bug, the better.

I'll start with this:

BRN_CWnCIAAlD76.png

I was working on a menu, and the code is very incomplete, and quitting it by-passes some stuff. One of those things it by-passes is unloading the background. Apparently, loading a new background without unloading the previous one will literally merge them. I went to check the background code, and amusingly, that's exactly what it does. Apparently I coded a feature without even intending to do so! Keeping this around, this may be useful later =P

Though this doesn't beat some bug I caused some time ago while rewriting some climbing enemy, basically I forgot a check and the enemy would literally hump the wall, suitable animation and all o_O I'm not sure I'm allowed to show that here without getting banned though XD

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Advertisement

I was working on a very simple distance fog function. Artists say that want blue fog in one direction, orange fog in the opposite direction.

Ok. I set orange-dir to point towards the sun, and blue dir to point away from it.

The result; not quite a bug, not quite a feature... accidental rainbows:

yyrHD4H.png

I don't have a screenshot or video of this (and it's been fixed now), but I was working on a physics-based walk cycle for a 2D character a little while ago. Spamming the left and right buttons would cause you to lift off the ground and fly away...

Nice idea. I actually collect the graphical glitches, since after a fix one cannot reproduce them easily. Here we go:

Everybody doing skinning for the first time has probably seen something like this: This should be tiny_anim.x from the D3D SDK samples:
56ef51269615883.jpg

Forward-Backward FFT shader test. First image is a (complex) test source. Second image should be exactly the same, but has now "artistic value" added:
7a9eb8269615860.jpg
f5728c269615866.jpg

Playing with Bezier patches. This should be a wireframe view of the Teapot:
3fd2da269616668.jpg

"Better" (one shouldn't use the same parameter for both dimensions):
8c08a3269615878.jpg

Playing with marching cubes. This should be a perfect sphere:
23bf70269615870.jpg
Again "better":
47e1bc269615874.jpg

Debugging a shader for light accumulation (deferred rendering). The (point light range) spheres in the middle and top right are diffs of the reconstructed view ray and the expected one (abs and scaled). Both should be perfectly black. They're not, but sort of pretty now.
37f7fb269615849.jpg

This one is actually intentional. Playing with conservative depth. These are billboarded spheres with depth output. Using a wrong start depth gives this. I think one can now see Hi-Z at work.
569ed9269615856.jpg

Though this doesn't beat some bug I caused some time ago while rewriting some climbing enemy, basically I forgot a check and the enemy would literally hump the wall, suitable animation and all o_O I'm not sure I'm allowed to show that here without getting banned though XD

Assuming the enemy is clothed, or some kind of animal clothed by its fur/scales/whatever, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. wink.png But when in doubt, you can link to an image instead of pasting it right into the thread and mark the link "possibly NSFW" or otherwise explain why people may not want to click it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

*recreates bug*

You all have been warned (NSFW?). Sorry for framerate, I wasn't going to pull off a 60FPS animated GIF. Amusing how the background loop is near perfect (should have waited a few more frames I guess?)

Also what the— it seems to have gotten worse since the last time o_O

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

*recreates bug*

You all have been warned (NSFW?). Sorry for framerate, I wasn't going to pull off a 60FPS animated GIF. Amusing how the background loop is near perfect (should have waited a few more frames I guess?)

Also what the— it seems to have gotten worse since the last time o_O

that's totally safe for work mate...also, very funny.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

In a previous GameDev community contest - a 72 hour one - I was rapidly trying to add enemies to the game about halfway through the contest, just wanting to have spiky enemies slide back and force horizontally across the screen that you have to dodge.

To my delight, they started moving around in smooth but erratically swirling patterns making for a much more interesting game. I left the bug in there. happy.png

The bug was caused by me calling Rotate() on the enemies, constantly spinning them around (so they look like spinning blades), and me also calling Move(x, y) on them. I didn't realize that the API's Move() function was relative to the orientation of the enemies, and so was moving them "forward" and "sideways" of the direction they were currently oriented in. For awhile it even looked like they somehow gained collision detection (they were bouncing off walls) - though I knew that wasn't possible, because they had zero collision code! The bouncing off walls was just coincidently the time their continual rotation made them turn around, and other enemies I saw later were going through the walls.

One graphical glitch I had in a space TBS game I made was an invalid pointer accidentally replacing a planet with my game's logo - which was about three times the size of what the planet was supposed to be. The logo was already unloaded from memory too, so as a new programmer, I was really surprised. That was the first real invalid pointer error I encountered - and since it wasn't crashing the game, it was very hard for me to pinpoint what had occurred.

The greatest bug I've ever witnessed was when I was working on Sims 2 DS. We had this thief character whose getaway vehicle is a shopping cart, which is spawned some distance away from him and races toward him, he jumps in, and rides off. But due to a combination of steering code, obstacle avoidance, and high speed, the cart ended up orbiting him at a long distance, trying to turn toward him but then moving forward so it needed to turn more. Every few seconds, you'd see the cart zip past on the horizon.

Kind of funny, but what amped it up to hilarious is that it turned out it was actually getting a tiny bit closer on each lap, and about 20 minutes later it was finally making small circles around him. We all watched as it spiraled in, and he finally hopped in and rode off into the sunset.

To my delight, they started moving around in smooth but erratically swirling patterns making for a much more interesting game. I left the bug in there. happy.png

The bug was caused by me calling Rotate() on the enemies, constantly spinning them around (so they look like spinning blades), and me also calling Move(x, y) on them. I didn't realize that the API's Move() function was relative to the orientation of the enemies, and so was moving them "forward" and "sideways" of the direction they were currently oriented in. For awhile it even looked like they somehow gained collision detection (they were bouncing off walls) - though I knew that wasn't possible, because they had zero collision code! The bouncing off walls was just coincidently the time their continual rotation made them turn around, and other enemies I saw later were going through the walls.

That's awesome! It's always hard to purposely design enemy behaviors that use cumulative effects like that, but it makes surprisingly fun gameplay. Predictable enough that you can accept it was your own fault if you get hit, but not predictable enough that it's easy to dodge.

Something that so happend to me today, playing around with some alpha blending settings:

z4m8isbn.jpg

7m5qfxx2.jpg

Not, I did not feed my PC acid, though it looks like it ;) This is the effect of a certain alpha blending setting, which should result in subtractive blending. Well, almost.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement