Animated GIF on front page

Started by
24 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 8 months ago

We pull the IOTDs from Twitter's 'Screenshot Saturday', so there is no guarantee that they have associated GDNet user accounts.

In this case, I don't think he is a GDNet member at all.

I had no idea this was even possible! I thought that you had to be a member to post an IOTD. Huh. unsure.png

So, I'm the guy that made this particular animated GIF that's causing so much pain. I looked at the main website, and I didn't see it anywhere, or indeed, anywhere in the recent IOTD posts. Even so, I don't think I could take it down, because it looks like you're downloading a game-dev local copy...not the one on our servers. I'm not sure what to do about this, and I'd never spam the entire internet with a mandatory 50mb GIF.
Sorry this so negatively affected you all, it was not at all intentional.

No one was accusing you of spamming the board! ;) We were just wondering how this was possible and what could be done about it. It looks like you may have been the first to do this and it took some of us by surprise. wink.png That is actually a good thing. Better a 50 MB GIF now than a 1 GB GIF down the road. blink.png

BTW, the game looks AMAZING! blink.png I cannot wait for you guys to finish it!

Welcome to GDNet!cool.png

(yes, I love to use smileys....)

Advertisement

Thanks! I just got a bit panic'd thinking that we'd inadvertantly ruined someone's day. I'm stoked you like how the game looks! I just finished moving to a new state, so I hope to get back to work on it shortly!

Howie

We pull the IOTDs from Twitter's 'Screenshot Saturday'

I had no idea this was even possible! I thought that you had to be a member to post an IOTD. Huh. unsure.png

It's a recent thing. Us members weren't submitting enough pretty images smile.png

I'm stoked you like how the game looks!

I'm also a sucker for retro space sims. Eagerly awaiting progress!

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thanks! I just got a bit panic'd thinking that we'd inadvertantly ruined someone's day. I'm stoked you like how the game looks! I just finished moving to a new state, so I hope to get back to work on it shortly!

Howie

Yeah this was my fault more than yours since I didn't cap the max file size for an IOTD or try to do a static shot. You just happened to have the one that slipped through.

Also your game looks frickin sweet.. please keep us posted on your progress (journal maybe?).

As to this gif (which I was downloading a couple of times and wasting my transfer and never saw them - i do not know why) - I would like to accept general rule that any web page should be not bigger than some reasonable amount of bytes per page - say 2 or at most 5 MB data. 99% webpages I encounter seem to be okay with that.

50 MB page is not good.

Today we have a 5.3 MB animated gif in the same slot. That's nowhere near as bad as 50 MB, but it's still a pretty good chunk of data.

Can we automatically freeze frame (i.e. snapshot) animated gifs to reduce problems in a future?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement