• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rpiller

Hero Engine

This topic is 1833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looks like you have to buy Hero Engine to register on their forums and so I'm hoping someone might know some answers to a couple questions I have around it.

1) In general what is your thought on using Hero Engine for an indie MMO. At first glance it seems perfect, but there must be some gotcha's in there.

2) Why does it say you need Maya or Studio Max? Can I not drag and drop purchased assets (models) into Hero engine? As a programmer and not an artist this would be what I would be doing or want. I have no interest in getting these other modelling tools.

Thanks,

Rick

Advertisement

1) I would suggest reading the Answers to Your Logistical Questions in their Start Here forums - https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,741.0.html. Further, scanning through all their forums (https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php#c2) should give you a feel for what people using the engine are experiencing.

2) Apparently there are special requirements for model data that have to be completed in Max or Maya before importing into HeroEngine - https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,3772.0.html

Guest Hiwas

I just have to reply to this.  Having rewritten significant portions of HeroEngine and dealt with the disaster some of the fundamental design decisions caused, I can't recommend it.  I have heard it is "MUCH" better now, but we stopped taking source drops about 5 years ago because we had to change so many things.  Unfortunately, as I understand it, some of the basic architecture decisions have not changed and those are the key problems.  Live update, sounds great in theory till you consider the implications.  Someone changes a movement script and goofs it up, EVERYONE, now either crashes, can't move or can't work because it is pushed out everywhere "live".  Your entire team is down until the script is fixed.  This is one of hundreds of edge case downsides to live update.  Perhaps they have fixed many of these problems, I wouldn't know, but I had a really horrible experience with it and can't give it anywhere near a thumbs up.

I read the FAQ.

"The HeroEngine is so good at making online games that it requires a real time connection to a server and a database."

I wouldn't personally want to work with a tool that requires a connection to anything.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!