• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

shared pointer instead of CComPtr, How to release()?

This topic is 1745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I want to create an array of vertex buffers using std::shared_ptr. How can set the deleter to the ::Release() member? I need this so I can InstBuffers.clear() before resetting the device.

for(int i=0;i<1024;i++){
		std::shared_ptr<LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9> spNewBuffer(new LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9/*, std::mem_fun_ref(IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Release())*/);
		LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 pTempBuf = *spNewBuffer.get();

hr = d3ddev->CreateVertexBuffer(BufferSize, D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC, NULL, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &pTempBuf, NULL);

if( hr!=D3D_OK ){
			MessageBox(NULL, L"Failed to make buffer", L"Error", MB_OK);
			return false;
		} else {
			InstBuffers.push_back(spNewBuffer);
		}
	}

Advertisement

I get a red line ..[](LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 *ptr){ptr->Release();}...

std::shared_ptr<LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9> spNewBuffer(new LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9, [](LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 *ptr){ptr->Release();});
error C2227: left of '->Release' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
1>          type is 'LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 *'

It's already a pointer... windows with its LP at the start of a name => it's already a pointer (EDIT: So a LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9* is actually a DIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9**)

That means you don't want the shared pointer to be of type LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 either, it wants to be a DIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9.

Edited by Paradigm Shifter

Seems like shared_ptr dont like COM interfaces

std::shared_ptr<IDirect3DVertexBuffer9> spNewBuffer(new IDirect3DVertexBuffer9, [](IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 *ptr){ptr->Release();} );

Gives errors:

error C2259: 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9' : cannot instantiate abstract class
1>          due to following members:
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::QueryInterface(const IID &,void **)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1478) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::QueryInterface'
1>          'ULONG IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::AddRef(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1479) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::AddRef'
1>          'ULONG IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Release(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1480) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Release'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 **)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1483) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetDevice'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::SetPrivateData(const GUID &,const void *,DWORD,DWORD)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1484) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::SetPrivateData'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetPrivateData(const GUID &,void *,DWORD *)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1485) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetPrivateData'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::FreePrivateData(const GUID &)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1486) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::FreePrivateData'
1>          'DWORD IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::SetPriority(DWORD)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1487) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::SetPriority'
1>          'DWORD IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetPriority(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1488) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetPriority'
1>          'void IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::PreLoad(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1489) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::PreLoad'
1>          'D3DRESOURCETYPE IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetType(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1490) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetType'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock(UINT,UINT,void **,DWORD)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1491) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Unlock(void)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1492) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Unlock'
1>          'HRESULT IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetDesc(D3DVERTEXBUFFER_DESC *)' : is abstract
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d9.h(1493) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetDesc'

That's because you can't create an IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 using new IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 (it's an abstract class).

How do you normally create an IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 derived object?

This seems to compile:

std::shared_ptr<LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9> spNewBuffer(new LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9, [](LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 (*ptr)){(*ptr)->Release();} );
Edited by Tispe

Then you are creating an object of type

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9**

which probably isn't what you want...

EDIT:

shared_pointer<T> sp(new T);

creates a shared pointer to a T. You are effectively doing this in the above post:

shared_pointer<T*> sp(new T*);

Right, I get a runtime error when InstBuffers.clear();

Unhandled exception at 0x778815de in Game.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcdcdcdcd.

private:
	virtual void _Destroy()
		{	// destroy managed resource
		_Dtor(_Ptr);
		}

Should I just wrap everything in a class and release in the destructor, or do you have better ideas?

I want to create a shared pointer to the vertex buffer or shared pointer to the pointer to the vertex buffer.

The creation and attaching the actual buffer to the last pointer on the chain is done further down in code

d3ddev->CreateVertexBuffer(BufferSize, D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC, NULL, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &pTempBuf, NULL);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!