• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Theo Berlin

Quadratic Formula -1#ind?

This topic is 1746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, about a week ago I made a program that calculated quadratic formulas. Now, I'm supposed to change that program and use a function to the calculations. Problem is, it prints both x1 and x2 as "-1.#IND".

I've googled around and apparently it happens when you divide by zero, but a isn't 0.

#include "../../std_lib_facilities.h"

void quadratic(double a, double b, double c){ // Calculate and print x
	double x1 = (-b + sqrt(b * b - 4 * a * c)) / (2 *a);
		cout << "X1 == " << x1 << endl;
	double x2 = (-b - sqrt(b * b - 4 * a * c)) / (2 *a);
		cout << "X2 == " << x2 << endl;
}

int main()
{
	double a = 1, b = 1, c = 1;	// Input loop
	cout << "This program will help you solve ax (squared) + bx + c = 0\nEnter a, b and c\n";
	while (cin >> a && cin >> b && cin >> c)
		quadratic(a, b, c);
}

Advertisement

It can also happen if you take the square root of a negative number, which happens if your polynomial doesn't have any real roots.

The more usual way would be to just take the contents of sqrt, calculate it and check it for negative.

assert(a != 0);//if may be true, do something about it
double d = b * b - 4 * a * c;
if (d < 0)
{
    return; //no root
}

double dSqrt = std::sqrt(d);

double x1 = (-b + dSqrt) / (2 * a);
double x2 = (-b - dSqrt) / (2 * a);
Edited by SyncViews

Besides this you missed one solution here as a quadratic can have only one real root as well when the discriminant is zero.

Edited by NightCreature83

Well it doesn't really miss the solution, it just prints the same one out twice, and SyncView's code carries on if d == 0.

SyncView later storing sqrt(d) in an int isn't a great plan though ;)

Fixed :) . Fortunately most compilers will warn about a double to int implicit conversion.

While d == 0 in some cases is useful, I think in practice most of the time your going to end up with just being near zero due to rounding errors at various stages, including the inputs them selves. If the single root situation is of interest for whatever you are doing, you will need to decide how close is close enough.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!