• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Event System and GUI Interaction

This topic is 1650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am working on adding an event system, basically, triggers, possibly choices which generate different results, sometimes only one result. I want to generate a window that lets you make choices.

Due to the gui system in place and my lack of experience in the area its not as pretty as I would like, basically it just uses the same style as the rest of the GUI.

However that's just a graphics issue which I don't care about.

What I need to know is how to handle windows if multiple events trigger at once. I want the game to pause so players can pick choices and because obviously having a big GUI item in the middle of the screen will ruin their view of the game.

So I have a few thoughts and am trying to figure out what is best:

Store multiple events and then push one to the window which becomes visible if there are 1 or more events and doesn't exist otherwise.

Have each event spawn its own window, like a Paradox game does.

I feel like popping up a ton of windows might be slower, but its also more user friendly in a sense. I dunno. I haven't done this kind of GUI thing before.

Advertisement

Simply shows first window, when player made his choice then show 2nd window and so on.. in Civ V may happen that multiple events happens in same turn and you have to click on messages for all events.. (that was a bit frustating)

A interesting thing you can do is "analyze events before showing windows". For example sort windows by importance (player can't skip choice or even worse a choice may trigger a new window at same time). You can even group windows "There are 5 similiar events.. respond yes to em all?".

This also depend if your game is turn based or real time. In a turn based game like Civ V it is very likely that multiple events happens in same turn, while in a realtime game is possible that player is frustated with windows every 2/3 seconds, so a possible choice is to "store" events in something like a stack or a list and then wait some time before processing ALL events at once (make any AI keeping in count that stuff else the player will have some abnormal disadvantage), or even better, let the player open the windows (if is possible to not process immediatly the events.. this depend on your gameplay of course)

Also think to redesign your game, usually choices are "implicit" if the player must take explicit choices like "select one of these options" too often it may be a bad idea (there are still great games based on this pattern so I'm not speaking in absolute terms)

Edited by DemonRad

Does your GUI system offer an option for tabbed windows? You could have each choice as a tab in a decisions window if so - everytime the user decides something the tab associated with that decision could disappear..

If you dont have tabbed windows you could do something similar - have all the decisions in a big scroll box where making the decision causes it to disappear

just some other ideas throwing them out there

Does your GUI system offer an option for tabbed windows? You could have each choice as a tab in a decisions window if so - everytime the user decides something the tab associated with that decision could disappear..

If you dont have tabbed windows you could do something similar - have all the decisions in a big scroll box where making the decision causes it to disappear

just some other ideas throwing them out there

Actually it does have tabs. That might be useful. Currently I've got it working with a new decision, if there is one, popping up after each older one is made. I will look into that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement