• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
traxix

Unity What do you need to learn before using a game engine?

This topic is 1747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I'm new here :)

So I was thinking about game programming and using a game engine. And everyone's been saying that you should first do some game programming and graphics programming before you actually use a game engine, so you know how things work on the programming side of things.

So my question is:
Basically, what is everything you need to learn in game programming before using a game engine (like Unity)?

I personally have been learning C# and XNA and I'm pretty new at it, and C# is used in Unity as a scripting language, and I always intended on transferring to Unity after learning everything I needed to know. So I really need to know everything I need to learn before going to Unity. Meanwhile I'll be learning that in XNA or SharpDX.

Feel free to post about general knowledge you need to have before using a game engine that's not language specific.

Cheers!

Advertisement

I think knowing your languages well is the big thing. Game programming is just regular programming with some domain specific stuff mixed in.  

Otherwise I'd just say jump in with and go though. Learning stuff on your own isn't really like learning something in a class... there are no predefined "prerequisites", so you'll basically just be learning your prerequisites along the way. The main thing is just plowing through frustration.  

Personally I'd recommend against Unity if you're just starting out though. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Unity (I'm using it right now), but IMO it's more of an expert's tool than a beginners. YMMV though, try it out at least. 

Well, I meant more in the line of, a list of topics that you need to have learned, before getting into a game engine. smile.gif
I know it's kind of a bad idea to get into a game engine, without any previous knowledge of some required topics that you absolutely have to know, otherwise you'd be lost.

And as a beginner and newbie in game programming, I really feel that finding the answers for a list of topics you have to know and a good list of tutorials and resources, has been daunting so far. But I'm finally getting around to it. smile.gif

Cheers!

It depends...

Game engine is quite huge term. Your engine can allow just creating some 2D sprites, using some basic sounds, using basic movement mechanisms and scripted AI. Or your engine can allow for large open-world, dynamic AI (even learning through neural networks), advanced physics (cloth, fluid, soft bodies), perfect 3D sound tech.

But all in all I'd say that solid Linear algebra knowledge is one of the must-knows. Also basic data structures as you will use them everywhere. Maybe also some automata, from there I think you could create some basic and later more advanced games.

Thanks, my main direction in school was math, so I've got that pretty much covered. However I really need a list of subjects for game programming and graphic programming that I need to learn. Maybe with a list accompanied with tutorials and resources too. :)

As you're telling me all the stuff that I know, but I don't know where to start.

Cheers!

Thanks, my main direction in school was math, so I've got that pretty much covered. However I really need a list of subjects for game programming and graphic programming that I need to learn. Maybe with a list accompanied with tutorials and resources too. smile.png

As you're telling me all the stuff that I know, but I don't know where to start.

Cheers!

Here are tips I have learned when I finished coding Pong and did tons of work adding features to a simple arcade shooter game. Both games share similarites.

I assume you know how to program.

1) Figure out or just look and download an open source game code. Even a simple game code will teach you a lot. There are plenty to learn from their code. What you want to get out of it is understanding how they set up the game and build off from there!

2) Prior knowledge for figuring out where each game object should be: Understand how the coordinates of a graphics window or graphics canvas is laid out.

3) How to load a image and draw that image on a graphics context

4) how to clear and flip a buffer. understand why you would need this.

5) requesting focus to which object. think about how you would switch from a main menu to another menu and then start up the gameplay

5) How to set up the code to perform keyboard and mouse events. In Java, they are event listeners.

6) Understand what a game loop is. Any game needs this to keep the game running.

7) Basic AI involves the state of an object. Is the direction of the monster up or down. If it is up what should the monster do?

8) Some basic physics on kinematics and vector is needed. i.e how to calculate position in physics.

This is just a small set, there are plenty of things you will have questions with. But this should be a nice starting point for you.

It is important to figure out how to basic stuff like gameplay logic: basic AI and collision

Good luck.

Edited by warnexus

I think the most useful game engine you create will use what you learn while developing your own games. Your best shot at getting something that fits in well with your games and has code you can really reuse is to refactor your engine out of your own projects. So, you need to learn about your own software.

So just wanted to put an update on this thread, if any beginners are reading. smile.png

I've set up a step by step guide, for how to progress through game programming with C# and XNA.

EDIT: If you don't know C# but are looking to start. There are a lot of resources you can find. I personally find RB Whitaker stuff to be excellent for beginners.

http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials

To begin with XNA, the first thing you should do is follow this tutorial. It will set the fundamentals of 2D game programming for you. smile.png Try to add features to the game, and to modify it. You should then search for more resources until you feel comfortable with 2D game programming.
http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/tutorial/2dgame/getting_started

XNA adventures from SixOfEleven is also a great place to learn 2D game programming. He has a series of XNA tutorials for making a whole RPG!
http://xnagpa.net/xna4tutorials.php

After learning 2D game programming, and when you think you're ready to move on to 3D. Here are some essential things you should read.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davrous/archive/2013/06/13/tutorial-series-learning-how-to-write-a-3d-soft-engine-from-scratch-in-c-typescript-or-javascript.aspx
In the prerequisites section, there are great links which will explain how 3D space works, and how 3D programming is done, and if you want you can follow along with the tutorials.

Next, you should definitely check out RB Whitaker's site. It will help you build up your 2D programming knowledge, you'll learn how to make a particle engine, and how to expand the content pipeline!, and it has great tutorials about implementing a 3D model and animating it. And it also has great tutorials for HLSL, when you think you're ready for them.
http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/xna-tutorials

What I'm currently doing, is learning 3D graphics programming on BBeck's site. Which set's the fundamentals of 3D game programming. These tutorials for me, are like the first 2D tutorials I did, and is making me greatly understand how 3D games work.
http://virtuallyprogramming.com
Check out the fundamentals section, and after that head straight to the Tutorials section, do the Holodeck tutorial and experiment with it as you did with your 2D games. You'll learn A LOT from these tutorials, and you'll start understanding how the 3D system works. Afterwards continue with the rest of the tutorials. smile.png

That's how far I am, and I'm learning more every day, until I feel confident and ready to use Unity as a game engine.

Have fun in your game development adventures!

Edited by traxix

Honestly the best way to learn is to -do-.

Tutorials are deceptive, people read a lot of tutorials and think they suddenly can make a massive game but that's not really how it works, I've read thousands of tutorials probably and quite a few books and the knowledge they give isn't nearly as useful as trying it yourself.

Tutorials are useful, yes, but going from pong to half life in a week will leave you probably unable to even make pong by yourself without copying someone's code. The hard part of coding isn't copying code, code is just text. The important thing is to learn how to decode the problem at hand and how to create a way to solve it.

That's the difference between you and the guy writing the tutorial. In most cases he did all the work for you and you just followed along, you weren't forced to create your own solution and teach yourself how to figure out the problem.

My advice would be to read how to use something as a tool, then follow it up with practice. Just read a tutorial on making pong with SDL? Well now go make your own version, make it better. Or make a similar difficulty game that is different. These are the things that stick game dev as a process in your head.

Personally I think writing my own improved version of Pong that I polished to what I would consider a not embarassing level taught me more about making a game than many hours reading books did. Imagine how good you'll be making a couple dozen games like that!

Yeah, I totally know what you're saying, I forgot to mention in my post that you should practice after following tutorials.

But yeah, copying code won't get you anywhere, after doing a tutorial, one should always try to make something from scratch.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Hive Entertainment
      I have already chosen my favorite from the concept artist which one do you like better 1 2 or 3?

Also still looking for a writer and a 3d artist message if you are interested!

• By Armaan Gupta
      Hey There,
      I am a developer and Im working on a blockchain based infinite runner type game. Right now, I am working on releasing the beta version with a couple other game developers, but would love to expand the team and have other talented and bright people contributing. The game portion of the project isnt very complicated, and wouldnt require anyone to pull thier hair out for it.
      If you are interested in joining a project, interested in the idea, or would like some more information, please don't hesitate to ask either by commenting, discord (username: Guppy#7625), or by email (armaangupta01@gmail.com).
      Thank you!
    • By Joydeep Mani
      I am trying to build a particle system for unity based on "Destiny particle architecture " released in Siggraph.
      I encounter a problem in trying to understand how they iterated this:

Converted to spline function and the result is

i wanted to know how did they converted the function in the editor to represent the graph ??

• By Xerath Dragons
      This is my first experiment use for create my original character little cute dragon chibi use zbrush and blender and use unity3d assest free for enviroment scene you have feedback?

• By Aryndon
      Project Redemption is an semi-fantasy RPG with a linear story and an elaborate combat system.
      We are building in Unity and are currently looking animators and artists.
      What we are looking for
      -Someone who is okay with split revenue/profits when finished
      -Collaborate with others in the team. Do you have an idea/thought on what should be included? Tell us!
      -Someone who wants to work with people that are passionate about this project
      If you are interested. Please message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible! Or add me on Discord AJ#6664
    • By Aggrojag
      Hello!
      I'm working on a game that is a narrative driven dark comedy with some small aspects of platforming and puzzle solving. The project is rather small as well. It touches on topics such as suicide, mental illness, family, corruption, free-will, and redemption.
      This project is exercise in polish, this means some experimentation will be needed along with some reworking of assets as they're provided.
      This will be a revshare model.
      First, I'm looking for a 2D sprite artist, not pixelated, that can compliment the style of the attached images, and be similar to the temporary character.
      We are looking to bring on a SFX designer at this time. Full list of required SFX will be available upon request, as well as a build with all elements related to sound implemented in some form (many SFXs pulled from the web for now). Will likely require some field recording, and some pretty strange SFX for when things get weird. I imagine a good portion of these will be quite fun to create.
      Lastly, I'm looking for a male voice actor, English should be your primary language. There will be at minimum two characters that will need to be brought to life through vocals. The first voice is similar to Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A reference for the second voice would be a mix of Ren (Ren & Stimpy), and Android 21 (DragonBallFighterZ). Due to formatting, I'm not including YouTube links in the post, sorry.

WIP Scene with our custom shaders attached (platforms are lazily placed, as this was an asset test):

A scene with dynamic lighting and temp character:

Unshaded asset:

If you made it to the bottom, thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    • By SickTwistGames
      Ok, firstly, Hi.

This is my first post on this forum. I am an Indie Dev making my first game so bear with me when I say dumb stuff, I'm on a huge learning curve.

My first question is about inventory systems for unity. I am trying to make a survival type game with crafting. I have purchased Inventory manager pro by devdog from the unity asset store and it seems like a pretty powerful assett but for an intermediate coder its a little tough to use.  I'm beginning to wonder if it was the right purchase.
      So my question is.... does anyone have any experience of inventory plugins / systems for unity and can anyone reccomend a system to me?
      It needs to have the following: Loot system, crafting system, character sheet, blueprint system,  character stats system. Ideally with as little coding as possible.

Thanks
    • By ethancodes
      I've got a bug with my brick breaker style game. The bricks move down one line at a time ever 1.5 seconds. What appears to be happening is occasionally the ball will be just about to hit the brick when the brick moves down a line, and now the ball is behind it. I'm not sure how to fix this. I have two ideas but I'm not sure of implementation. 1 solution would be to check where they were and where they are going to be before rendering the frame. Then if they crossed paths, then register the brick as hit. Solution 2 would be change how the bricks move. I could maybe slide them down line by line, instead of a jump down. I'm not sure of this will fix the issue or not. Any ideas?
    • By Pixeye
      I wrote an extension for unity inspector that allows to group/fold variables. 
      Available on github  , cheers!

• By rakshit Rao
      I'M interested in programming tools (For animation, UI, etc). Can anyone suggest me the resources where I can start learning or which technologies I need achive it.

Thanks,
      Rakshit
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!