Programs To Make (I Have No Ideas :( )

Started by
3 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello everyone, so I started learning Lua, because I want to jump into Love2D engine, but I need to get good practice of Lua, but I have no ideas what to create with lua, I watched tutorials and stuff, I understand something, but don't know where should I use all the things that I understood, maybe you can help me guys, I just need some tips, what programs to make only in CONSOLE_APPLICATIONS! :)

Check out my blog or twitter for news how I am doing in the project "Learn Programming in 2 Years!". You can follow my progress, and help me! :)

My Projects:

"Learn Programming In 2 Years"

"Windows Tutorials"

"Ubuntu Tutorials"

My Games:

Moving@ IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/moving-rl

My Links:

My Blog: http://www.thescriptan.blogspot.com

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheScriptan

Advertisement

Well I never learnt Lua in this manner (I came from knowing other languages so was mostly a question of syntax and API's for what I needed) but my first console games in other languages were based on some of the simple pen and pencil games. E.g. tic-tac-toe, connect 4, etc. The players in turns just had to enter the coordinates for there move (just the column for connect 4) and then I simply drew the updated grid with some ASCII chars. Then there is the additional logic for detecting winning moves.

I then mostly skipped the text adventure and other more complex console stuff and did some 2D stuff like pong and space invaders, as well as GUI application programming, moved onto rendering 2D stuff with D3D or OpenGL, then eventually full 3D.

Texture atlas assembly for nonconvex sprite shapes: the program is given general polygonal shapes defining the important pixels of input images and it's smart enough to fit (taking an alphabet as example) the vertical stroke of a T in the hollow of a U or the biggest possible punctuation in the holes of the D and the O, doing much better than the more popular approach of packing rectangles preserving useless pixels.

There's everything: nontrivial text and binary inputs and outputs, novel and/or interesting algorithms (mostly heuristic and approximate) but with a graceful fallback to stupid and proven approaches, lots of performance-critical heavy lifting, the challenge of good overall design, a useful purpose, and prospective integration with a 2D game engine.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Texture atlas assembly for nonconvex sprite shapes: the program is given general polygonal shapes defining the important pixels of input images and it's smart enough to fit (taking an alphabet as example) the vertical stroke of a T in the hollow of a U or the biggest possible punctuation in the holes of the D and the O, doing much better than the more popular approach of packing rectangles preserving useless pixels.

There's everything: nontrivial text and binary inputs and outputs, novel and/or interesting algorithms (mostly heuristic and approximate) but with a graceful fallback to stupid and proven approaches, lots of performance-critical heavy lifting, the challenge of good overall design, a useful purpose, and prospective integration with a 2D game engine.

Is that a beginner-level project?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

How about a text-exploration game?

20 rooms, several locked doors, several keys, several switches.

You start in Room X, and getting to Room Y completed the game.

No NPCs, but each room has a description loaded from a text file (not written directly in the program).

You have to have a room object, a list of new rooms reachable from that room, and the keyword required to go to each room ("North", "Trapdoor", "Ladder", etc...).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement