• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Stringstreams and escape characters

This topic is 1742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having some trouble with my .OBJ loader, when trying to load in the face data I'm not too sure on how to separate the numbers from the / for example:

string str;
getline(file, str);
stringstream ss(str);
string start;

ss >> start;

else if (start == "f") {
		unsigned int x, y, z;
                ss >> x >> y >> z

The X value reads fine.. but when it reads the next components it reads "\1" and "\2" etc. Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks

Advertisement

You may want a string splitting function. This question on Stack Overflow should give you some ideas. I would suggest that you adapt this response to split based on a deliminator such as '/'. You would just convert the string to the correct type instead of returning a std::vector of strings. Or take the std::vector of strings and convert those as needed. You have options is all I'm saying.

As you are discovering, std::streams aren't terribly useful for tokenizing strings. You are generally better off feeding the string into sscanf().

Not true at all. And this is a trivial problem to solve...

int main() {
	std::stringstream ss("f 3/1 4/2 5/3");
        std::string type;
	int xv, xn, yv, yn, zv, zn;
	char discard;
	ss>>type;
	ss>>xv>>discard>>xn;
	ss>>yv>>discard>>yn;
	ss>>zv>>discard>>zn;

std::cout<<"V: <"<<xv<<", "<<yv<<", "<<zv<<"> N: <"<<xn<<", "<<yn<<", "<<zn<<">"<<std::endl;
	return 0;
}
In fact we can simplify that even more with a simple stream operator function, which gives us greater utility...
template<class E, class T>
std::basic_istream<E, T>& ignore(std::basic_istream<E, T>& stream) {
	return stream.ignore();
}

int main() {
	std::stringstream ss("f 3/1 4/2 5/3");
	std::string type;

int xv, xn, yv, yn, zv, zn;

ss>>type;

ss>>xv>>ignore>>xn;
	ss>>yv>>ignore>>yn;
	ss>>zv>>ignore>>zn;

std::cout<<"V: <"<<xv<<", "<<yv<<", "<<zv<<"> N: <"<<xn<<", "<<yn<<", "<<zn<<">"<<std::endl;
	return 0;
}
Which could be trivially expanded into an object with an overloaded extraction operator to handle even more cases (such as ignoring a longer number of characters, or ignoring specific types). Edited by Washu

Not true at all. And this is a trivial problem to solve...

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Your solution also parses the expression "f 3 + 1 4 + 2 5 + 3", and the more insidious "f 3.1 4.2 5.3".

It isn't trivial to reproduce the validation implicit in sscanf(arg, "f %d/%d %d/%d %d/%d, &xv", &xn, &yv, &yn, &zv, &zn) using stringstreams.

Edit: though I suppose one could define a validating functor to use as a stream operator. Still, such a thing does not exist out of the box.

Edited by swiftcoder

Thanks all for the replies! My trouble was for some reason last time when I did what Washu suggested I had problems where it was reading the string "\1" "\2" etc. But then I realised I was using an std::string and should use a char... Thanks for all the replies good info!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!