are you overworked often ?

Started by
26 comments, last by Ectara 10 years, 6 months ago

Are you often overworked, or are you mostly at ease,

and overworked rarely. (I am overworked considerably

often) How do you 'cope' with that?

How many hours a week you spend coding, and

how many hours a week you spend reading about programming?

Advertisement

Are you often overworked, or are you mostly at ease,

and overworked rarely. (I am overworked considerably

often) How do you 'cope' with that?

No answers to that? It would be interesting to hear - I think overworking related things/themes are important in this profession (because programming usually means a lot of work (and I like to hear how do people get by with that )

I'm not overworked that often, i have a normal 40 hour work week (not all of it is spent actually coding ofcourse),5 weeks paid vacation, overtime is rare and is compensated with time off.

I do however also spend some of my free time working on my own projects(Allthough progress there is quite slow as i don't spend as much time as i should) or just playing around with new and interesting things.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm not overworked that often, i have a normal 40 hour work week (not all of it is spent actually coding ofcourse),5 weeks paid vacation, overtime is rare and is compensated with time off.

I do however also spend some of my free time working on my own projects(Allthough progress there is quite slow as i don't spend as much time as i should) or just playing around with new and interesting things.

I am not workin in the ofice recent times, workin for my own education only, but still I am overworked hard quite often; This summer I put on on ease and try to not work hard so it becomes somewhat better,

If someone has some thoughts about the overworking and related things I would like to hear.

[ For myself I couldnt decide if putting myself in such overworking states (by working much and not getting at ease) is better of worse, though it seems maybe that is more wrong than good, head need to breath. ]

What is your experience, What do you think ? (general question )

Its never good to be overworked, your productivity tends to drop when you're tired so in my opinion it should be avoided unless you absolutely have to meet a deadline for some reason.

Its never good to be overworked, your productivity tends to drop when you're tired so in my opinion it should be avoided unless you absolutely have to meet a deadline for some reason.

But still I think that many (maybe the most) of the people in this field (hardcore game programming ) Is 'overworked often' Or am I wrong and most of them is relaxed and 'at ease' when working ?

But still I think that many (maybe the most) of the people in this field (hardcore game programming ) Is 'overworked often' Or am I wrong and most of them is relaxed and 'at ease' when working ?

Some crunch time is virtually unavoidable when you're working with big projects and deadlines though. (and during crunchtime almost everyone will be overworked)

How often it happens depends on the company. If it happens often it is a sign of bad management (I don't think bad management is more common in the games industry than in other industries)

Some crunch time is virtually unavoidable when you're working with big projects and deadlines though. (and during crunchtime almost everyone will be overworked)

How often it happens depends on the company. If it happens often it is a sign of bad management (I don't think bad management is more common in the games industry than in other industries)

It is not so much about industry but about profession. Can successfull game making (programming) be done with 'at ease' relax setting ? It is such big amount of hard work that going thru this is a pain mostly (At least it is my own experience, I like it the most, but it is hard pain still)

#define overworked

I think people who enjoy their jobs / work will happily do a lot of hours in it, those who don't like their job will likely get stressed, irritated and / or angry if overworked. Take games for example, it is very easy to dedicate enormous amount of hours playing a fun game, even staying up past your bedtime or making time for the game. This is because you are having fun, if you are having that much fun in work, you will likely not care or even complain about the hours.

I have far too much fun programming so much so that I gave up playing games for it and by the looks of it this probably wont change, I usually do approx 98 hours a week (researching and programming), but I don't consider it 'work', I do other stuff too like working out, cooking and ofc playing with the cat. I'll admit I no longer have a social or sex life, cant even remember the last time I was in the sun and unless it is technology / political related (mentioned in parliament) I have no idea what's going on in the world. A little too much info I guess, my point is, if you are having fun the time will fly by and you wont really care to question it and happily sacrifice hobbies / tasks so that you dedicate more to that work.

I think if a person is feeling overworked, they need to find out what it is that is making them feel like that, it isn't always the hours that makes them feel overworked

I wanted to comment about how stupid it is to read books about programming for hours every week, but then I saw there is nothing about books in the original post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement