• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alphatroll614

text based (not MUD) MMO

This topic is 1916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to the game development world, but I consider myself a novice C++ programmer, having created a couple console-based games that revolve around simulated card draws or dice rolls.

I'm thinking about creating a MMO that maybe plays from the console. Perhaps it would be more user-friendly to have a browser based game, but I think a console app would be possible and desirable.

I could be wrong. I'm not interested in creating a MUD, I know what they are. I'm looking at a game where the player essentially chooses AI preferences, does inventory management, etc. and allows the server to simulate the PC's actions in the game.

For instance, an example of some game events would be: A band of PC's have teamed up to fight a dragon. The fight is automatically resolved. The dragon is slain, but all but two of the party are dead and those two are too injured to travel. Another PC is the devotee of a merciful god. The user is offline, but he/she has commanded his/her character to wander the wilderness. There is a % chance of the PC stumbling across the injured PCs, and by healing them, the PC gains favor with his god.

Right now I'll admit this is a rather nebulous idea, so if you have any questions, it might serve to help me clarify what I really want.

But basically I'm posting here to be pointed in the right direction to achieve this idea...something that would allow for a lot of autonomous interaction on the server. I'm not sure if that phrase means anything. Thanks for reading.

Edit:  I think maybe it would be more in line with what I was envisioning to do a single-player RPG, interacting with the server via email.  Any tips for that?

Edited by alphatroll614

Advertisement

Personally, I would first build up your idea with "local multiplayer" in mind. This way you can build a base and get some more experience before diving into networking and at least got something working that can be build upon in a smaller scale should the idea be too hard to make. 

How you want to execute your gameplay is totally up to you, it might give you some hurdles, but that's with everything. It's just a lot of thinking and that's probably more a design based question rather than a technological one.

On the technical side you need to figure out what you want to achieve. Figure out an architecture based on what your game needs to do. Inventory management, player interaction, loot distribution.

On the MMO side, you will need to figure out how to deal with disconnections during different events and such.

Here's some questions to ask:

- Is there really a market for this? Is this an enjoyable experience? (make a singleplayer prototype before committing and then, as Rld_ pointed out, a smaller Multiplayer)

- How fleshed out is the idea? Have I covered all my bases?

- Will I be able to maintain a server for this, and do I have the time/money?

It's a pretty common phenomenon that new, budding game designers want to make the most awesome game ever. Sometimes that involves the idea of making an MMO or something else that is equally grandiose. But make no mistake, MMOs are not "just another game", they're almost a completely separate industry alltogether. That's not to say that it's impossible to make a 1-man MMO. Just look at Gene Endrody and his "Maid Marian". Personally I think the game looks horrible (see Sherwood Dungeon video below), but it's also a WoW clone (full 3D etc) and, as said, he's 1 person. So it's kinda impressive too, in an awkward kinda way. In addition, the fact that you're planning a text game means that you don't have to worry about the graphics and rendering as much.

All I wanna say is good luck. I've had an MMO plan myself, but I've decided to let that be a potential future culmination off of a series of projects that I'm doing first (to become better as a designer, for instance). If I were you, I would at least wait until I can make at least one solid game without too many questions about what the heck I'm doing. A common mistake is to design such a grand project that the actual features each end up being horribly shallow and, quite frankly, terribad.

(Edit: found new video, the previous was a little annoying lol)

Remember though: "Nothing is impossible. The impossible just takes more time." ;)

Edited by Malabyte

One direction you might want to consider is a "Massively Singleplayer" game. I think Spore kinda started the concept. Basically you play a singleplayer game but interact with things that come from other player's games.

So lets say someone creates a friendly healer and he's playing his singleplayer game. His character is uploaded to the server. At any point in anyone else's game, they may see and interact with his character (controlled by an AI).

Just a thought :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!