• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Some advice please

This topic is 1739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

I am setting off in my journey to create games and as a first stop I am coming here to ask from some advice from the more skilled\experienced programmers.

Ok so lets jump in. I know I need to start super simple and practice but I also want to learn a language that will be relevant to my future project. What I am aiming for eventually is a simple top down rpg.

What (in your opinion) is a good solid language to begin with and where do I get it?

What resources will I need in order to start my journey? Where do I acquire them?

Also, know of any good learning resources? I am currently scouring this site and the net but I could use some direction here.

Thanks everyone in advance for your replies. I will continue to post my questions and progress.

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I am setting off in my journey to create games and as a first stop I am coming here to ask from some advice from the more skilled\experienced programmers.

Ok so lets jump in. I know I need to start super simple and practice but I also want to learn a language that will be relevant to my future project. What I am aiming for eventually is a simple top down rpg.

What (in your opinion) is a good solid language to begin with and where do I get it?

What resources will I need in order to start my journey? Where do I acquire them?

Also, know of any good learning resources? I am currently scouring this site and the net but I could use some direction here.

Thanks everyone in advance for your replies. I will continue to post my questions and progress.

Pretty much (an) answer to every question you asked is available here.  After reading that and following the suggested links, you should be in a much better place.

I am also glad you said "eventually' create a simple top down RPG.  This is a good outlook, as it will be many steps before you are ready for a task like that.  A simple RPG is still anything but simple.  If however you find that daunting, there are options like (RPG/Game)Maker, that make the journey a hell of a lot quicker.  You still learn things if you go that route, but will miss out on many of the fundamentals.  Of course, you can acquire those later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!