• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for feedback

This topic is 1654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone.  I'm new to these forums and thought I would just put out a little about myself.  I'm a 37 year old disabled veteran looking for a change of career, and I'm currently going to school at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs for a Masters of Computer Science with a game and media focus.  That being said I really feel like a beginner to the whole programming scene ( my Bachelors is in Liberal Arts with a depth in Chinese and Music, long story that).

So I have been working on a Minecraft like with the concept change that the XZ planes are made of equilateral triangles instead of squares.  I have an example that can be seen at http://apoidgames.web44.net/wedge.html (Using webgl and three.js, may take a bit to load and only works on browsers capable of running it).  Unfortunately this code is not optimized in any way and probably should be relegated to the code horrors side of the forums.  The whole game concept that I have been working on can be found at http://hexwars.blogspot.com/ where I started as an idea guy and have worked to flesh out the concept into what I hope is a respectable, well, game concept.

If any of you are so inclined to follow these links and just peruse the page links on my blog to say whether this idea has merit or not I would greatly appreciate it.  Also I would be curious if anyone knows about voxels in general and what might be the steps for creating a voxel engine. I think that is the direction I am looking at going, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Anyway I think I will be spending a bit of time coming up to speed with the other topics in this forum, and I'll even attempt to add to topics if I am able.

Thanks,

Brift aka Dave Hardee

Advertisement

Welllll - this is a pretty hefty project to get in to if its your first.. I'm not saying the idea isn't cool or doesn't have merit - it does - but.. would most likely be a huge undertaking.

The odds are against your success in this particular project (normally beginners would be advised to start with games like pong and tetris and such) but that doesn't mean its impossible for you to make it if you keep the scope small - just unlikely.

Creating a voxel engine is a huge undertaking in and of itself.. you might just want to tone your first project (I'm assuming this is your first project) down a bit!

But its up to you!!

Either way I wish you good luck and welcome to the forums and thanks for your service for our country!

It was my first big idea that kind of pushed me towards game development, but it hasn't been the only project I have done.  I've been through quite a few programming courses just to get into the computer science program, and a few of those were game development related as well ( they teach XNA in the undergraduate courses).  I understand just how big an undertaking this is, trust me, but I have already put a lot of work into this and I fully plan to continue.  Even if this idea ends up being too much I have learned a ton of great stuff about computer science and I think I'll be better for the effort.

The only issue I had when I played was that it was more a tech demo than a game. That makes it really difficult to give good feedback! The concept sounds good, but it's all about execution and what follows. I do think using tris gives you some artistic differentiation from Minecraft/other voxels.

So I guess my comment, ultimately, is that you need to get more gameplay in to get meaningful feedback!

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement