Annoying ad - with speech!

Started by
2 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 10 years, 8 months ago

I clicked on one of the "go to forum" links at the bottom of the thread.

Twice now I've had an annoying "Dear gamedev.net visitor" ad open a new tab asking me to complete a survey, with speech as well, which makes it doubly annoying.

I don't want to do a survey that opens new tabs in my browser and speaks, please get rid.

I also seem to have an issue with posting new threads (and looking at PMs) in that it seems to hang the browser in a "loading" loop for so long I have to cancel the page load and try it again by refreshing... I can't be the only one with this issue? I'm using Firefox. EDIT: I've had this issue for a while though, not just since I got this annoying ad.

EDIT: Hmm, it appears to be something to do with a plugin called "Webcake ads" which installed itself when I installed open office, it is underlining a lot of words in posts which presumably take me to other ads. I'll disable that right away!

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Advertisement

[?] Are you unsure you don't want to not keep AOL toolbar uninstalled?

"Don't require your users to have a degree in philosophy, episode 2"

I removed the plugin from Firefox and uninstalled Webcake from control panel, maybe that will prevent it annoying me in future. I'm always suspicious of uninstallers for adware written by the adware bastards themselves ;)

I might try going back to Chrome, Firefox gets on my tits but I had issues with unreadable fonts in some Flash windows with Chrome previously which was sorted by changing the browser.

Webcake? Webcack more like!

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Okay, brain almost exploded for a second there.. glad to see life has returned to normal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement