C in game development

Started by
35 comments, last by frob 10 years, 8 months ago

The following is going to be a bit of a rant. Before I start, my intention is not to offend anyone, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. With that out of the way, here is my story:

I seem to agree with most that (this about boilerplate and overcomplex weak design) (probably)

Personally I am writing almost exclusively c so I dont even know c++ to much. (I am moderately experienced, 100k lines in the backpack at my back)

As to communities I am personnaly the one c-liker person in my community (I use c++ compilers like mingw but do not use c++ features)

The people i talk with are always c++/oop people, (c++ community people) so I would be curious how it is in these days big game development (are such projects c++ oop stuff mostly or there is some big percentage of oldskul procedural c these days also)

I know it can be hard to answer because of people have their own experiences not neccesary 'statistic' of wide view of the 'industry' or something like that.

As to communities do you think that c++ community is much larger than c community in general these days? I have no idea on that.

Advertisement

Does maybe someone know how much widely used is old good (and fast) c in game development (in relation to c++ usage) ? In big games?

In the United States, at least, the primary language used for AAA games right now is C++. If you want to make AAA games, you should be comfortable using C++. If you do not wish to use C++, this is going to really limit your options.

Many studios tend to favor the use of composition over inheritance, and Entity Component Systems are very popular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity_component_system). Some studios have, in recent years, moved towards a more "functional" style of C++ programming (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj553512.aspx), so it is worth being conversant in recent innovations in that area.

However, many people are completely abandoning C++ for non-AAA projects. OO-languages are still fairly dominant, but really, your options are pretty wide open, if you're working on indie games.

well, nice

I could stand c++ but I am not to much devoted to it.

Not sure if I would like to go into big game bussines but it is always nice to coding person to know what 'they' are doing/coding.Tnx for info in the 2nd paragraph, I will check it.

OOP is successful in big project because it can offer the possibility to "prove" that a certain piece of code to do something "works" and it's immune from misinterpretations and abuse.

This is, of course, possible in most every language, but OOP seems to expose the basic concepts in a more direct way.

In languages like C, you can have a struct with functions doing "work" on them and, if use correctly, they work. The problem is that if you forget to call some "init" on your struct, or some "release" on your struct, or if you go there and change a value in that struct ignoring the fact that there are 3 more members that need to be changed to keep the struct in a "valid" state.

C++ (OOP in general) is an attempt to solve this by exposing objects with an interface that guarantee the validity of the data in every situation.

Now this seems to be the obvious way to go when writing programs in the large.. you see somebody's else class, you assume once you create it it'll be "ready to go" and that it'll be valid no matter what methods you call on it.

There goes the theory.. in practice, there seems to be a growing community of programmers that think that's not really the case.. and that all this bureaucracy in the languages is just moving the responsibilities around, from the user of the "black box" to the implementer of the "black box".. which sort of makes sense because the implementer should know better. But when there is a problem , then it is often hidden under countless layers of abstractions and constructs.

But in a perfect world, if you can choose between a mindset that goes:

// In C

// Instantiate a struct

MyStruct data;

// How I initialise this? Look for a function that looks like InitMyStruct.. found it

InitMyStruct(&data);

// Right, what can I do with this one? IDE can't help me, I have to guess a naming convention or potentially look in every possible .h

// for functions taking a MyStruct* as parameters.. ok got one

UpdateMember(&data);

// But... would this work too?

data.member=10;

// No way to know

// Now I am done with it... should I clean this up somehow? Start my endless search for something that looks like, cleanup, release, destroy.. you name it.

// Got it

ReleaseMyStruct(&data);

As opposed to the C++ "way":

MyClass c;

// No thinking, c is initialised and readu

// What can I do with this? Just write c. and get the IDE showing you the methods callable on c

c.UpdateMember();

// Can I do this?

c.member=10;

// If member is public, then it means it is possible to assume the member has no dependent members, so good to go

// Done with it? Should I worry about anything else? nope.. if there is clean up the destructor will take care of it

Why would you ever choose the C way?

Personally, I would feel "lost" in C after so many years of C++, but, I love coding in Google Go... and I really think that you guys in love with C should check Go out because reading your posts I had this feeling I was reading or listening to somebody of the Go team explaining the reasons behind the simplicity of Go and its relationship with C.

The mindset I have when using a Go library is totally different.. I dont rely on intellisense to suggest me the usage of a particular class, I open the implementation or the docs and read how to use it... as someone smarter than me put it: it looks like a polite conversation between engineers.. where, in C++ it often looks like the conversation between a paranoid father and a demented kid.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I'm doing a 2 for 1 on gasoline right now if anyone's interested.

It seems to me that you want to flame and/or complain about c++. There's no problem with that, but it won't come to an end, either. The points that are mentioned here as disadvantages of c++ are more or less problems of the people using it.

Sure the, oop-fizzbuzz example is funny, but that's because it is completely exaggerated.

I think there's no point in "being a fan of language x". It's a question of what feels best, what is best for the project in aspects that are important for the project.

in that struct ignoring the fact that there are 3 more members that need to be changed to keep the struct in a "valid" state.

In c i do not use such approach you mention - as a c++ object as a shield interface for some "its internal state inconsistency" against weak users

(probably I used to evade internal states in such type modules at all. (I would be must think a little about that to explain the difference)

Do not have to fight with that because it does not seem to appear at all.Though I do not work in a team , I never handed a module/c-file to somebody and said use it such-and-such, so i do not know. But probably as I said I prefer the stateles modules (As speaking of some side-internal-state to spoil)

Also I do not use such alone object structures you mention:

I do not used just one of it - all my data practicaly are few big global tables of instances only - got initialisations but got no 'destruction' at all - when I need container for thousands of bullets which are of short living I use something like a pool of structures in the static array - its quite efficient and clear (though is staticaly limitted to some arbitrary limit - so it is some kind overflow prone)

It seems to me that you want to flame and/or complain about c++. There's no problem with that, but it won't come to an end, either. The points that are mentioned here as disadvantages of c++ are more or less problems of the people using it.

No I really do not want to flame, If it goes it way it was no my intention. I do not want to convince somebody not to use c++ use c or something like that. Im mainly curious what is in use in big titles production thise days and what it look like,

(And mainly if procedural c is in usage here 'yet' - becouse I am personaly liker of that) If somebody does know. Thats all Do not want to flame on that.

all my data practicaly are few big global tables of instances only

ya sure, globals everywhere.. why not? tongue.png

Surely it's faster to hack together a small simple program like this... but do you really think companies investing millions should approach their software with the same careless attitude you show here?

Global state is a proven major source of bugs and general impossibility to maintain a software that grows beyond a certain size.. most modern language design is targeted towards eliminating global state and shared state. They DO require more thinking and pre-design of your code, but that's what might save the company from ending up with an unmanageable mess of spaghetti code.

I hope you understand that trying to propose a bunch of big global state in C-style as solution to any problem is going to get you out of any decent job interview in 30 seconds.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

all my data practicaly are few big global tables of instances only

ya sure, globals everywhere.. why not? tongue.png

Surely it's faster to hack together a small simple program like this... but do you really think companies investing millions should approach their software with the same careless attitude you show here?

Global state is a proven major source of bugs and general impossibility to maintain a software that grows beyond a certain size.. most modern language design is targeted towards eliminating global state and shared state. They DO require more thinking and pre-design of your code, but that's what might save the company from ending up with an unmanageable mess of spaghetti code.

I hope you understand that trying to propose a bunch of big global state in C-style as solution to any problem is going to get you out of any decent job interview in 30 seconds.

I do not know how would it be in a very large game project

I was not talkin on that, this would quite different topic

Many big systems are written in c so they probably are build around some global tables [?] and it is not necessary a mess

But this is different topic - (though interesting to: are big c-code system build around of bunch of some big global tables with data ?- this 'globalness' is no problem for me necessary, worse thing is that they are static sized tables and i do not know how achive flexibility in such static array approach, If they use a linked list with heavy malloc free it would be slow i think, maybe some mixed approach linked arrays or something like that - I do not know)

[but this all is maybe a kind of digression so maybe I will cut it here - though if somebody do know (depth architecture of some big c-based systems) I would like to know about it its interesting to learn]

Using C for games certainly isn't impossible but I find myself just recrafting a toy version of C++ with macros etc...

The following was a small prototype game developed using C a while back (compiled using Clang/Emscripten)

http://50.57.98.84:8080/legfria/

Some notes...

- I really missed exceptions.

- One level of inheritance is possible (using update, draw function pointers) but more gets really fiddly

- Works great with SDL (and OpenGL) and don't need to worry about fiddly unique_ptr deleter functions etc...

- Compiles in a fraction of the time as C++. Probably about 10% time taken (with Emscripten).

- Much smaller output size (matters more with Emscripten than a .bin for Linux or .so for Android)

- Compiles with minor tweaks in any "C family compiler" Objective-C, C++ (so quite portable perhaps)

- glm maths library is C++... this was a pain because I like using a "standard" maths library rather than a hand rolled one.

- Debugging C with lldb or gdb is trivial compared to C++.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement