Game Design Document Contests (Grants/Funding?)

Started by
10 comments, last by Jungle Friend Studios 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey everyone. I run a little team called Broken Limits Media. See blmdev.com.

I'm trying to find out if there is any chance at entering some sort of competition for game design documents. I'm terrible at finding these things on my own. Facebook is pretty much my news feed for anything on the web... I'm terrible.

I'm trying to enter our GDD into some contest for reputation and potential funding for the project. We could use the money for a variety of licenses (Unity 3D, iOS/Android, audio/art assets, etc.). We really don't need much, just the basics to build a bigger game. The bigger side is getting our name out there, showing the other guys we're serious, and developing a more consistent, strong following. I have several serious members out of our 10 member team, but I need a fully dedicated team and I believe getting noticed more will help attract the more desirable developers.

So. Where do I start? Where do I look? How do I get our 50 page, 14,000 word, focused Game Design Document in the hands of some reputable judges and see a fair return if we win? I think the info could help many others as well.

If you're interested in the game, The Undead Castle is a zombie game based 3000+ years into the future. A religious group called the Devotion suppresses advancements in technology, seeing them as a hinderance to human development. They use medieval ways of living, slightly combined with our modern styles, but not our modern ways of life (no phones, no tech, etc.). There's so much more, but that'll do for this post.

I'm open to any feedback and advice for the GDD Contest questions. Please help!

Advertisement

I have never heard of a contest for GDDs. A money prize is unlikely in the extreme. I think you should ask a different question. What is it you really need, what can we tell you that'll help you get where you're trying to go?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I haven't really heard of anything like that either, but perhaps GameSprout (recent GDNet topic) is what you're looking for?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Weird but interesting question, it kinda makes me curious as well. Would've been a cool thing for some people I guess. The only problem with a competition, as I see it, is the difference between this and just pitching your idea to a publisher the standard way. Either it's the big guy (i.e. publisher) who decides the winner, in which case its just like pitching your idea normally (and thus redundant). Or, it's decided by vote, in which case the publisher must potentially forego his own Brand and preference to cater to a public opinion determined by random people. Not only do they need to have actually heard of this competition, but decided to participate as well (which in sum may not be an adequately large or accurate focus group, unless the competition is thoroughly adverticed).

Both are unlikely, IMO. Some publishers might perhaps try this, though. It could be interesting to make games based on public opinion, as long as that opinion comes from relatively educated people. For anything factual, meritocracy is usually better than democracy. But I imagine that one could advertice this competition on Gamasutra, Gamedev and various zines (IGN, PC Gamer, GameSpot, and so of) as a major event. It could be an annual or similar event. That would at least attract the attention of a good number of fellow game developers, hardcore gamers and design enthusiasts (which might be good and relevant enough for a publisher to consider it).

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

I have never heard of a contest for GDDs. A money prize is unlikely in the extreme. I think you should ask a different question. What is it you really need, what can we tell you that'll help you get where you're trying to go?

I only asked because my Intro to Game Design instructor at my college strongly urged us to get our GDDs out there in competitions for grants and other such financial boosts. Figures. She didn't give us any solid resource to locate these events. Maybe they do not exists? I asked her a few times, "Where do I find them?" The only straight answer I got was to look on the Internet and find them...

Maybe I could submit my GDD to a studio. Would any of you know where to start on that? I know what publishers might take a look, but I'm not sure how to begin and get their attention.

competitions for grants

Oh, grants. That's an entirely different kind of thing. You need to research grants, not GDD contests.

1. Maybe I could submit my GDD to a studio.

2. Would any of you know where to start on that? I know what publishers might take a look, but I'm not sure how to begin and get their attention.

1. Maybe you could, but studios (developers) don't have money. Publishers do.

2. Read FAQs 11, 21, and 35 at http://sloperama.com/advice.html

my Intro to Game Design instructor at my college strongly urged us to get our GDDs out there

Just curious, what city and state are you in?

my Intro to Game Design instructor at my college strongly urged us to get our GDDs out there

Just curious, what city and state are you in?

Columbia Maryland. My school is Howard Community College, Howard County MD.

I'm going to move this to the Business and Law forum since it's more about getting funding or grants than design. smile.png

Maybe I could submit my GDD to a studio. Would any of you know where to start on that? I know what publishers might take a look, but I'm not sure how to begin and get their attention.

In addition to the link Tom provided above (and his other helpful lessons!) I also recommend reading through "preparing a product pitch" ,"preparing a game demo", and "funding for game projects", as well as Dan Marchant's other helpful articles; there are some industry overview articles towards the bottom of the list which will probably provide some good incite into the industry.

You might also consider crowd-funding (perhaps through Kickstarter or Indiegogo).

I don't actually know much about the specifics of applying for grants, but many areas do offer them under various terms and conditions, so it's probably worth doing further research.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've just noticed another user appears to be in a similar position -- some of the responses to his question may also be helpful to you! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement