The Week of Awesome: Unofficial GDNet Competition

Started by
132 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 6 months ago

Welcome, ehan_ubc! The more dinosaurs, the merrier! (If only Crytek could understand that. Then FarCry would actually be fun)

kvu4.png

Serious dinosaur is serious.

This pic is the player's avatar walking towards the west. It'll be somewhat animated in-game, when all is said and done. Alas, no screenshots from me yet. sad.png

The picture was made by the artist on my team, freehand-sketched, then I scanned it and colored it.

Advertisement

I'd quite like to compete as a team of one, although I don't really have a lot of time free this week just bits here and there. So I don't think my chances of actually completing an entry is very high, but I'll give it a shot.

Here's a screenshot of my progress whilst I was sat in bed last night:

[attachment=17492:day-1.png]

It's just static sprite-loading and lifetime management, still need to actually make it do something interesting.

At the moment the basic premise is:

The dinosaurs never really went extinct, but they all still died - so now they're back as rampaging zombie dinosaurs which is highly inconvenient because Granny was just setting out to go to her Bingo and nothing keeps Granny from her Bingo... nothing. So now she must kick ass and rid the world of the dino-zombie hordes.

The art-work is mine, just whatever I can knock up in Paint. I'm going for a simple white-on-black-and-grey look but with splashes of colour for blood, etc.

My tech is Java with libgdx (which I briefly experimented with once, so this is also a nice learning exercise) and I'll be targeting Windows although I imagine it would "just work" on Mac and Linux too.

Damn, great theme and I have an idea but I'll have a new job starting from the 1st of September ... if things go well on the 26th.

There is a lot to do ... and I am not far enough with the engine yet.

The basic idea:

If dinosaurs did still exist they would be on the verge of extinction like many other animals.

The game would be called: "Baseline Watch - Dinosaurs" ... and it would be inspired by TED Talks about how each generation's baseline (how they perceive the state of wildlife) hasn't changed much during their lifetime but declined a lot over multiple generations.

It would be a management game where you try to raise awareness and get at least 10% of sea and land protected.

You make money with footage from the protected areas. Ecosystems would be mathematically simulated in a very simplified way and as the baselines get better it would become apparent.

For the competition there would just be statistics (how many dinosaurs exist per continent or per protected area).

If possible you could manage

- an R-Force (retrieval force) that captures dinosaurs that escape the reservations

- Technology (like cameras / electronic animals that gather footage, vehicles for the R-Force etc.)

- Media (where is the awareness, how does it change politics and customer behaviour, how much quality footage is captured each day / how many livestreams are there) - certain awareness levels could be goals that give the player an advantage (like a TED Talk about the project that boosts the awareness)

- Staff (editors, R-Force members, technicians, PR guys ...)

It could be extended to make protected areas visible with procedural content generation ... and it could feature countries instead of just continents.

Another idea would be making the R-Force controllable with XCOM series game mechanics (sure, there will be a FPS spin-off game smile.png at some point).

Maybe I'll try to get something done ... if anybody wants to team up and take the lead feel free to contact me.

But I guess I might tackle this project once I have more time on my hands.

GIMP mock-up ...

baselinewatch_mockup_003_thumb.jpg

And a link to my very WIP Code::Blocks SDL2 github project: Baseline Watch - Dinosaurs

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

It's hard to tell from the screenshot, but I've implemented several important game mechanics this morning. Namely, I put in a propeller, a rocket turbo-booster, a machine gun, releasing a paratrooper, and a UI element that directs you to the next goal on the map. I haven't made any artwork for any of that, so all you're seeing here is cubes, cylinders, and spheres for now. I also implemented Star Fox-style barrel rolling just because I could.

image.png

Still no collision detection yet...

I spent a few hours last night setting up a Top-Down Shooter framework, and whipped up some basic art assets this morning.

ol47.jpg
kmw9.jpg
4mnm.jpg
5rk2.jpg

Should be a lot of fun! biggrin.png

Dino Road Trip.

So far i have cars and rocks to dodge. (you can also thwack them with your tail to make them explode).

I will be adding pedestrians that you can gobble up on the sidewalk, and some power-ups. Maybe a few more obstacles too.

[attachment=17513:dinoroadtrip.jpg]

Made with Java/LibGDX, I'm targeting windows. I might make it android friendly after the week of awesome.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Team Snuti:

Wolferaven, Ecker00, Thortrillion

After a slow start due to traveling as well as a busy week ahead, we have completed our game design document and sketches are all drawn up and have just started development now.

We're making a 2D linear story / RPG game, where humans are not on top of the food chain anymore. We live in the rainforest in small houses at the top of the trees and Dinosaurs are a constant threat to society.

We have never done pixel art before, so we will have a go at that, which should be fun!

We are using Unity3D with Ragepixel and GIMP and we are also working on our first bit of music as well.

Here is one of our storyboards:

[attachment=17514:sketch2.jpg]

Snuti Games on the web: Website - Facebook - Twitter - Blog

Oh, I haven't posted anything yet, so it's time to fix that:

Our T-Rex model, straight from rouncer's screen:

8xkd3p.jpg

As for the game, the first idea was to build up little RTS, so let's see how far we gonna get till the end of week.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Everybody's screenshots look great so far!

Mine hasn't progressed visually but I found a few hours to tinker so I have a few more of the underlying mechanics implemented:

• Granny is now keyboard controllable (left, right, jump)
  • Got some simple (not-yet-infinite-but-will-be) side-scrolling flooring in.
  • The dino now moves (slides) towards granny and will hop up small steps.
  • Box2d for gravity and collision handling.

Next I need to figure out how to get the collision events out of box2d so I can use them to apply damage, etc

After that, Granny needs a gun.

I already have a few physics-related bugs that'll need squashing too.

Obligatory screeny:

[attachment=17515:day-2.png]

Ok, managed to stay awake for a few more hours tonight, and actually have something to kindof show. it's still early, and being tired getting home from work makes it difficult to get anything done, but i have the weekend off, so i'll get some serious work done then.

anywho, finished the majority of the initial framework:

15yaoer.png

look at that ground!, but seriously it's ganna be a semi clone/parody of the original legend of zelda(at least of what i remember when i beat it a few years back), with the main character being a velociraptor, and many of the enemy's being dinosaur themed(i'm trying to think of someways to make the weapons more suitable to the new cast;-) ) i'm doubtful i'll get more than a single dungeon done before the end of the week, but the initial framework is coming together nicely, sadly sleep once again is calling me, till tommorow. =-)

Oh, I haven't posted anything yet, so it's time to fix that:

Our T-Rex model, straight from rouncer's screen:

8xkd3p.jpg

As for the game, the first idea was to build up little RTS, so let's see how far we gonna get till the end of week.

damn that model looks sexy!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement