• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornstalks

The Week of Awesome: Unofficial GDNet Competition

133 posts in this topic

Hehehe, 60 minutes left. We'll just barely make it. I can't color all the dinos in time, unfortunately, so I'll have to just recolor some already-colored ones.

I'm going for a motorcycle ride, so I may not be able to announce the competition's end on time. However, note that the competition does still end on time (just because I don't post an announcement right at 12:00AM EDT doesn't mean it's extended). I will use the posts'/edits' timestamps on this site to make sure entries are submitted before 12:00AM EDT. I will post here as soon as I'm back.

Good luck!

Ok, not 100% done, but it'll have to do.  it's the legend of raptor, you are a raptor, go around killing the little compy's.  unfortunately didn't get many rooms built, and only 1 enemy.  as well, no music=-(.  ai is pretty dumb, overall i only got like 3 days of serious work done on it, so i'm kinda happy with what i managed to build in that time.

screens:

A.png

B.png

download:

[url]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OCTMofiWbhVk8waDVCdkJGMTQ/edit?usp=sharing[/url]

hope you guys like it, didn't get everything i wanted done(wanted to get at least one dungeon made up, but without a level editor, making even one room took ~30 mins)

Ok, here's our entry. smile.png Never had time to do journal updates or the like

We bit off a little more (a lot) than we could chew.. We rushed out what we could so it was something actually playable, but it's not totally representative of the idea. There's a backstory and instructions in the readme.

Our game is a top down RTS defense game with farming elements. All the features didn't make it in though sad.png

I still think it wasn't bad for our first competition. Some of you guys are really fast at this!

Hope you guys enjoy it, and good luck to everyone else!

Here's a dropbox link to the zip. It contains the ipa and a readme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2989m6auqz4snd/DNALabs.zip

Note:

Since our game is an iOS release, unless your device is jailbroken you won't be able to install it.

Judges: I've included Cornstalks UDID's... jdadams is jailbroken, but I haven't heard from the others.

Please let me know if you have any problems!

Also, just wanted to say I had a lot of fun, and the theme forced my teammates and I to think of things we wouldn't normally come up with. Overall it was a very good experience. :D

Edited by FuzzyRhombus

Hahaha, yeah. I started to panic when DropBox was syncing uber slowly with four minutes to go, and wouldn't let me upload the link until it finished syncing.

I had to rapidly disable some game features to produce a playable build, and reused some dino art for multiple characters.

Doubly unfortunate because the artist had drawn unique appearances for all 11 dinosaurs in-game, and I only managed to color and put in 5 or 6 of them. sad.png

Maybe we'll do a Post-contest release in a few days that fixes the final mistakes and cleans it up properly.

Someone please tell me my team's game runs! We've been running it continually on two separate machines, via dropbox, but I'm super nervous.

Congrats to everyone!

I'm about to crash - I can only run on Dr Pepper for so long.

[b][Edit:][/b] Google Chrome decides to mock our efforts:

xyer.png

Edited by Servant of the Lord

Doubly unfortunate because the artist had drawn unique appearances for all 11 dinosaurs in-game, and I only managed to color and put in 5 or 6 of them. sad.png

Couldn't you have made the game black-and-white?

So my submission was in, I cut it very fine and was hacking away until the very last second.

It'll require at least Java6 to run and is targeting Desktops (Windows specifically, but if happens to work on Mac or Linux then it's a bonus).

What did I manage to get done since my last update, quite a lot actually:

• Added music & sound effects - It only made sense to do so since there's a whole judging category devoted to it.
  • Added a crosshair
  • Made Granny aim her walking stick
  • Adjust the look of the bullets to be smaller pellets (since I didn't have time to implement varied gun types).
  • Added more kinds of dinosaur including both in-tact and decaying versions of each dinosaur
  • Added a highscores table - This was important to me as I kinda feel that if a game can't be won then 'winning' is getting a highscore.
  • Balanced the gameplay some more

The game is quite long, well, it goes on forever technically - but there is new content introduced at various points along the way and the gameplay changes as you progress. The assets folder is not embedded so the intrepid among you can take a peek in there and see what you're missing out on if you don't play all the way through.

Admittedly I didn't have time to do much play-testing so how fun/easy/hard the game will be is as much of a mystery to me as to any of you. So it's quite possible that a particular stage is too hard to complete or that all stages are far too easy. Unfortunately I also didn't have time to extract the level-balancing to a config file, so it's hardcoded and unchangeable :-(  Although I'd be happy to mod it on request.

Just playing it a bit and I already spot some non-critical but nonetheless annoying bugs, ugh.

I really hope it runs on someone else's PC unsure.png

Everybody's entries look great!

I need to get to sleep now though, but I'll play them all tomorrow.

Edited by dmatter

@Servant: Your game runs on my computer! I haven't had time to play it through yet, but I did run it. The contrast on the dialogs was a bit hard for me to read but other than that it looked good!

@dmatter: Your game looked good! At first I was annoyed by the movement speed of Granny but it does fit the game well lol.

I really hope it runs on someone else's PC unsure.png

Just to give you some ease of mind: It runs on my PC, starting up and getting to the fading out text "65 million years ago..." before I closed it.

I didn't actually play it though... way too exhausted. Will play it tomorrow!

[b][Edit - now tomorrow:][/b] I played the game - it was fun! I ran out of ammo at a score of 1993.

@Servant: Your game runs on my computer! I haven't had time to play it through yet, but I did run it. The contrast on the dialogs was a bit hard for me to read but other than that it looked good!

Thank you! *breath of relief*. Yeah, the artist mentioned the dialog contrasts also - I improved them slightly, but I guess they need more work.

The artist was also a tad ticked off that the apostrophes and periods were so small with that font. mellow.png

Worst still, some of the dialog runs off the dialog boxes and isn't readable off-screen - we fixed most of that, but missed a place or two.

@dmatter: Your game looked good! At first I was annoyed by the movement speed of Granny but it does fit the game well lol.

Yeah, granny's speed was set early on in development and I didn't really have time to circle back to adjusting that kind of thing.
It was always my plan to have a slower pace, arguably it's too slow though.

Just to give you some ease of mind: It runs on my PC, starting up and getting to the fading out text "65 million years ago..." before I closed it.
I didn't actually play it though... way too exhausted. Will play it tomorrow!

Awesome, thanks!
Now I can sleep :-)

Well done everyone! I'll update the OP with links to everyone's games. Contestants, please let me know if there are any issues with the links I put up or if you have any questions.

This week I will create a thread for the community to vote on their favorite game (they will have 1 week to vote before the voting closes) for the People's Choice award.

The results from judging will be posted... someday. I'm not sure when exactly, as it depends on how quickly the judges can judge the games, but it should be in a reasonably timely manner.

You have some weird way to package your game, ryan20fun.

I put everything in the proper folder and uploaded it to my webspace. Hope that's ok.

This is ryan20fun's entry! Run the executable from root/bin32.

http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/bgh.zip

Thanks!!! :)

Note: I have attached a updated version of the exe in my previus post.

All i did was remove the bullet at contact time with the dino, That way multiple dino's are not taken out at the same time.

All you will need to do to use it is to: remove the ".txt" from the extension -> Extract -> place the resulting executable in the "Bin32" folder. :)

I Really enjoyed playing the submissions!

As I know my own game is not so straight forward I made a little gameplay video of the final game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouXo10KniU

As being our first attempt at a basic story RPG I realise after lots of feedback so many things we should have done differently, but that's why we do these jams, to experiment and learn new things! :)

For anyone who's curious to know what kind twisted code and weird & wonderful magical numbers are involved in making a granny to battle zombified dinosaurs - I have uploaded the whole Eclipse project to github (which is something I don't use nearly enough). Check it: https://github.com/daveagill/GvZD

At some point I might right a post-mortem of what went right and what went wrong, etc.

Will more of these be held?

Possibly! There will certainly be more competitions here on GameDev.net (both official and unofficial), but when that future becomes a reality is uncertain.

If people want another Week of Awesome competition, I wouldn't mind organizing another one.

If people want another Week of Awesome competition, I wouldn't mind organizing another one.

I'd definitely be interested.

I wonder if there is a better way to notify about upcoming competitions. I somehow didn't notice this one till it was halfway over.

Could not finish the game Dinosaur Hunter within a week. Working a demanding schedule, a demanding social life. I will still finish making the game and release it for free and release the code for free.