javascript vs c#/XAML vs c++/DX Windows 8 game development

Started by
3 comments, last by SyncViews 10 years, 8 months ago

So I've been researching how to implement an isometric tilemap but specifically, I've found little information on the limits of each programming tree you can take with windows 8 development.

I have written a game in javascript/HTML before and noticed performance issues with many objects on the screen being updated each frame, but I have little experience in c++/DX or c#/XAML, although I have some experience in java and c which would help with the learning curve.

My question is this: If I wanted to make a basic diablo styled isometric 2d game, would javascript be powerful enough to draw ~100 tiles each frame plus any ingame objects at 60FPS? I'm also wondering the same for c#/XAML. I assume it's safe to assume that c++/DX would handle it easily as long as there are no sloppy algorithms.

Cheers everyone.

Advertisement

It depends on what hardware you're targeting, but when programmed right javascript is totally capable of doing this.

Jan F. Scheurer - CEO @ Xe-Development

Soon (Win 8.1, IE11) you can also use WebGL in your JS/HTML-Apps, so it should be no problem at all.

I second JavaScript - while I still have no love for it. In the future, consumers are not going to install anything on their portables, we're better move to browser whatever we can.

Previously "Krohm"

Well in the future I suspect the c++ -> Javascript and such toolchains would be even better. With asm.js I think they even got within about 50% of the original c++ performance on something, and certainly seems to have a lot more pace than dealing with normal Javascript right now, since it bans all the hard to optimise bits (that apparently, since I think only C++ exceptions cause a bit of a problem, are not strictly needed to be fully functional, but you would not want to hand write that subset).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement