Sign in to follow this  
g3rmin8r

noob advice appreciated

Hello all! excited to be here. Rather than shoot off a bunch of questions when I dont know where to start I'll just declare my intentions. I start college at a local community college tomorrow, intending to become a game dev. Since I have a GED, I have to get SOME college credit before I can apply at Full Sail (which I currently intend to starting next year). I'm only currently enrolled in math, english comp, and a 3d rendering course. For my first game I would like to make a 2d fighting game in the style of street fighter 2/mortal kombat but with some rpg elements and also some 2d world exploring with random encounters sort of like final fantasy/pokemon. Wondering what would be the best coding language for this style of game. I am hoping to one day have it on android/ios. All advice/experiences are welcome to be shared. Thanks guys (and gals)!

Hello and welcome!

My advice is to take some time and search around on these forums and on the internet for similar type questions. Similar questions have been asked thousands of times before and so reading through those responses should prove useful.

The game you describe is difficult to create. I don't know what skill level with programming and game development that you currently have, however it is probably a good idea for you to start a much smaller project first to gain experience as to how a game is constructed and to learn basic programming concepts.

I assume the 3d rendering course is a programming related course (although I suppose it could be art based, hard to tell) but if it is programming related I hope that you have some knowledge of programming basics or you may find such a course fairly difficult.

Designing a game is in my opinion not about adding ideas together but removing ideas and refining the core concept of a game until it is at its most basic elements of fun. The game you described is fairly ambitious but it also involves a lot of changes in the user control scheme for example. It could be difficult to learn how to play this game and so you would need to take that into account. Your going to spend a lot of time balancing the game world and creating art assets. Keep in mind that currently android and ios devices also have limited video memory. I would not recommend creating it as a first game.

There are a number of options for creating cross platform games including Unity, MonoGame, LibGDX, and Game Maker Studio.

This Zombieville USA postmortem is worth a read. As is the Catch the Monkey postmortem.

Edited by shadowisadog

Designing a game is in my opinion not about adding ideas together but removing ideas and refining the core concept of a game until it is at its most basic elements of fun.

So True. I completely agree! To work to that end, its better to build small little games and build them all the way through to release. Game jams are a good way to practice this. I just learned this lesson myself and have been applying it over the past couple of weeks. I've done one or two small games, and am participating in Ludum Dare 27, meanwhile slowly working on my ambitious project slowly, over time.

Creating it for Android as well as iOS isn't trivial. Maybe Unity actually lets you export for both platforms, but usually you choose Java for Android and Objective-C for iOS (that is the simple answer, though).

There are ways to convert programs (just google "Java to iOS" ... or "j2objc") but I don't know how well that works for complex projects that use complicated libraries.

I don't know how easily C++ programs can be brought to both platforms. Android allows this with the NDK, I guess. I think you need Objective-C for the GUI of iOS apps but you can mix C++ with Objective-C. Not sure if it is possible / easy to set up a codebase with conditional compilation that can build binaries for both platforms.

You could play with simple hello world programs to figure that out.

usually you choose Java for Android and Objective-C for iOS (that is the simple answer, though).

libGDX is a java library that "exports" for both android and iOS. Unity does let you export to various platforms, including android and iOS.