Sign in to follow this  
TheChubu

We have chat!

There has been an unofficial chat channel in IRC for over a decade. It is #gamedev on AfterNet. The site even has a little web client that connects to it at http://www.gamedev.net/page/community/chat/index.html

I guess we'll see how the new one turns out. I doubt it will replace the IRC room any time soon.

I wonder when browsers became capable enough to work with embedded chat windows in web pages...

Since before 2006.  The ChatZilla firefox plugin that let you do IRC in a window was released in March of that year.

In 2009, Firefox chose Mibbit to be their built-in chat handler, and that was first released in 2007.

I wonder when browsers became capable enough to work with embedded chat windows in web pages...

Since before 2006.  The ChatZilla firefox plugin that let you do IRC in a window was released in March of that year.

In 2009, Firefox chose Mibbit to be their built-in chat handler, and that was first released in 2007.

I'm pretty sure it was long before that if we're including things that made use of Java applets or other common (at the time) plugins.

There has been an unofficial chat channel in IRC for over a decade. It is #gamedev on AfterNet. The site even has a little web client that connects to it at http://www.gamedev.net/page/community/chat/index.html

I guess we'll see how the new one turns out. I doubt it will replace the IRC room any time soon.

My project for the day was to lurk in that chat channel all day under various pseudonyms for evaluation purposes. The conclusion I have come to is that it is really not about game development at all. 

My project for the day was to lurk in that chat channel all day under various pseudonyms for evaluation purposes. The conclusion I have come to is that it is really not about game development at all. 

It's about whatever the participants want it to be about. Anybody is welcome to ask game development questions at any point in time.

I tried to use the chat, join the room, typed one sentence, and it kicked me out.  24 hours later I still can't use it.  I just get an error.

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#CHAT-03]

You do not have access to our chat room.

I tried to use the chat, join the room, typed one sentence, and it kicked me out.  24 hours later I still can't use it.  I just get an error.

and what you said with that one sentence was pretty terrible mate, mods had to move fast=-)

and what you said with that one sentence was pretty terrible mate, mods had to move fast=-)

I know you guys are hard on moderators, but sheesh.  :)

Hm, 2006 is pretty new for me.

Glass_Knife: I think I might have a memory of someone (don't remember who) either kicking or banning you, probably just goofing off or experimenting. Is there anyway the staff can check to see if you've been banned? Which leads to the awesome question of why regular users can kick/ban. Because I'm not a mod, yet I have kick and ban available to me right now. And giving mod powers to someone like me is just... well, it's just morally reprehensible.

Glass_Knife: I think I might have a memory of someone (don't remember who) either kicking or banning you, probably just goofing off or experimenting. Is there anyway the staff can check to see if you've been banned? Which leads to the awesome question of why regular users can kick/ban. Because I'm not a mod, yet I have kick and ban available to me right now. And giving mod powers to someone like me is just... well, it's just morally reprehensible.

kick is available to crossbones+ members, i don't believe we have the power to ban though.

So I was banned from the chat room.  Luckily, as a moderator I was able to un-ban myself.  Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner... I also seem to have that option with a right-click.  Interesting...

So I was banned from the chat room.  Luckily, as a moderator I was able to un-ban myself.  Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner... I also seem to have that option with a right-click.  Interesting...

Sounds like a fantastic chat implementation...