Sign in to follow this  
Chill Dude

Music While Developing

Chill Dude    108

Hi everyone first time poster here so thought I'd keep it simple (please be kind!).

So I know this is similar to the existing music thread but whilst reading 100% Indie I saw that they're asking developers what music people listen to whilst developing and it got me thinking.  Now I know a lot of people prefer sitting in silence but I know a lot of people on here also like listening to a lot of different music.  As for me I do listen to a lot of music whilst working mainly both video game soundtracks like the Halo Mjolnir Mix and Harry Gregson-Williams's MGS music (ok maybe a bit obvious smile.png), but also for my sins an awful lot of J-Pop (on now haha).

Any thoughts?

Thanks smile.png

Edited by Chill Dude

Buster2000    4310

I tend to listen to Comedy Podcasts rather than music whilst coding.  If I do listen to music it would probablt be The Stones, Bowie, Placebo or Daft Punk.

Inukai    1331

Japanese Nightcore. I don't understand japanese, so it doesn't distract me. It helps me to shut myself off from my environment.

Yes I am weird.

fir    460

I listen a lot music whole day but just not when

coding (I listen it after coding to get more close

to life and relax after coding)

When I code i love to watch the TV and got it

on; though i do not remember much of it, I need it

not to be bored with just coding whole part of

the day

(sometimes some good movie passes aside

my weak coding body, - Yesterday I seen quite good

documentary movie "Lucas vs people" - worth to see it,

(it is about the fandom critique about changes in SW 

Lucas made, surprising, deep and spirit raizing movie ) )

Edited by fir

jjd    2140

If I need to concentrate, silence is best. However, silence is not even close to possible for me at work so then I cycle through opeth, lamb of god, isis. If concentration is not critical, but I want to block the office chatter, I indulge in alabama thunder pussy, baroness, dethklok, mastodon, and kylesa.

-Josh

fir    460

A lot if it is psychedelic trance. I downloaded so much garbage that a lot of the time I'm pausing to delete music.

could you say some names, I would like to check this kind of music (the more psychodelic the best)

Edited by fir

polyfrag    2502
Some good ones

Astral Projection - Ambient Galaxy (Disco Valley mix)
Talamasca - Time Simulation
Infected mushroom - Desert Storm
Man with no name - Essence (Dayglo mix)
Space cat - Daybreaks
Man with no name - Lunar Cycle
Man with no name - Vavoom!
Vibe Tribe - LFObia
Vibe Tribe - Albert Balbert

cr88192    1570

in the past, it was a lot of Trance and House...

more recently, it is lots of assorted Dubstep...

probably the most well known band in the genre is Skrillex...

but there are others (Knife Party, Zomboy, ...).

szecs    2990

For programming either Voivod (progressive trash whatever metal) or Soft Machine (fully instrumental jazz-rock). I listened to Master of Puppets while coding in Matlab though

Ravyne    14300

I tend to listen to the kind of music I always listen too, its familiar and ignorable when I want it to be -- not in an unpleasant way -- just so that it can be background music. I find that listening to new music with very clear vocals is too distracting because I can't tune it out. Same for comedy, talk-radio, or news. I find that I don't actually need the music to concentrate, and in fact I barely notice consistent noise or silence of any type when I'm concentrating. Intermittent noises are more distracting, so I tend to use music either to cover them up, or to keep my subconscious energy levels up, especially when its late.

I listen to different things depending on my mood -- Metal and Industrial (Marilyn Manson, Orgy, NIN, Ramstein, KMFDM), 80s Dark Wave/Goth/New Wave (The Cure, Joy Division, Gary Numan -- Who I get to see next weekend!, The Birthday Massacre -- not really 80s, but sounds alike), and stuff that's kind of hard to categorize without overcategorizing (Abney Park, Stolen Babies, Dr. Steel).

For the heck of it, Here's one of my Spotify playlists.

Edited by Ravyne

froop    642

some cool instrumental hip-hop or whatever you'd call it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkh-pncD0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bviN1lLMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaLDW1nAYTo

Ichneumon    128

Never band music, or pop music. That would destroy the situation completely. Only soundtrack music, particularly with some ambient qualities. Ideally no singing or lyrics.

Listening to music (particularly from other games) with the same emotional style and impact as you aim for in the game you are working on is the best way to go if you want your work to be creative and productive in all the right ways.

_the_phantom_    11250
I tend to go through phases with my listening habits... for while I was listening to nothing but Frank Turner, then I switched (back) to drum and bass/dub step mixes, then it was across to metal/alternative bands, then Professor Green got me through a day or two and recently I'm on a Electro and Big Room House mix jaunt.

Lyrics tend not to bother me; I can code and sing along to them (either out loud at home or just simply mouthing the words at work)... depending on how things are going sometimes I'll even throw in a bit of air drums and/or keyboard for the heck of it (yes, at work).

The music itself isn't THAT important, I mostly use it to set my mood - if I'm sat in a chair, listening to D&B then my brain is conditioned to code... if I'm at the gym then it's conditioned to zone out and get back to me in an hour or 10km, whichever comes first biggrin.png

Chill Dude    108

Hey everyone :)

Thanks to everyone on here for messaging back! (and especially for being so kind and welcoming :))

Looks like a fair amount of varied music types (doesn't make me feel so weird haha).  Seems like they had a pretty varied amount over at 100% Indie too - a lot of trance it seems? (http://www.100percentindie.com/2013/08/28/whats-your-fuel-the-indie-developers-soundtrack/)

What do you think? I like some, others I would rather avoid but hey each to their own eh :).

cr88192    1570

yeah, music+coding works pretty good IME.

less certain though, is recorded convention panels + coding, but this is still better than TV+coding, where TV tends to try to demand too much visual attention, which when coding is more needed to devote to coding. with convention panels, one can mostly leave it in the background until something interesting is said, or something comes up on screen which actually needs attention (vs just someone standing there talking about stuff).

multiple things involving natural-language will clash though, as my ability to fully mentally deal with natural language requires a lot of mental resources, though at a more basic level it is possible to listen to and keep track of several ongoing conversations at once (just not have focus on all of them at once), though noise-level and similar are fairly relevant for this.

luckily, natural language and coding are pretty much independent though, as code is mostly visual information, and most code-related thoughts tend to be fairly mechanistic, allowing for a little higher mental throughput.

like, I see some code and it seems to be processed "all at once", rather than sequentially (like natural language), and similar seems to also apply with things like looking at ASCII-text data files and often hex-dumps (though, this may involve more mental work if decoding the files' data from its hex dump).

however, I am usually unable to actually remember most of this...

like, my ability to actually remember information is on-par with my ability to type it out, which is at least a little faster than my ability to process or compose natural-language text (actually pretty slow). then again, some people have claimed that me typing stuff sounds like rapidly hammering the keyboard as well. but, OTOH, it still manages to take a long time to read, think-about, and respond to things.

back to the power of music in all this:

I think it helps in the sense that it can help focus things and provide a sense of energy and motivation.

though, this likely depends a lot of the type of person and musical style though.

or such...

Edited by cr88192

Oolala    1102

I listen to mood-setting ambient recordings, like long loops of recordings in rain forests or waves on beaches or wind in trees.

Check out rainymood.com for a really accessible example.  It's a 20 minute long looping recording of a thunderstorm with some slight soft instrumentals added to accent the existing sound.  No lyrics, or talking at all, no rythm.  Nothing to concentrate on.  To me, this music playing in the background ends up *sounding* even quieter than a totally quiet room.

My hearing doesn't ramp up and start fixating on every weird little noise I hear, like my neighbors yelling at each other, or what totally might be a mouse in the wall.  It just ends up swamped with something that is too unstructured to really achieve that heightened state of listening, and thus I can focus on a task.