Learning 3d Graphics (But with spacific goals)

Started by
4 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 10 years, 7 months ago

Ok let me put this up front. I really wasn't sure which section this should go in. It feels like it could go in multiple. So don't kill me if it's in the wrong one please.

I have decided that I need to stop putting it off and learn some 3d graphical programming. Because really, I need it for my future game making plans. I perfer 2D, but a few of my ideas need simple 3d to be implemented as I see them.

So I have set my self up some specific goals

-Learn to write code that makes a 3D enviroment.

-Use that knowlege to build a very simple 3D engine that involves a flat plane in a 3D space.

-Add a 2D sprite that can walk around that 3D plane.

-Make the plane (and thus the sprite) rotate.

-Build on that as I go to add more features

-Somehow combine this with a 2D sprite RPG engine to be used as the battle engine (Think the end result will be simmilar to 'Tales of' games.)

I've been looking around to find a starting point (A game engine, API, something) but it's been hard finding one that will let me work on these goals with as little "Reinventing the weel." as possible. The big factor seems to be that most of the stuff a poor guy like my self could use is very 2D or 3D centric. Like I would love to use RPG Maker VX Ace, but I don't think writing, a 3D battle engine for it (as simple as it this one would be) would be too hard/slow to attempt with as little knowledge I do have.

Is there any suggestions or advice?

I think basically I need a 2D RPG engine that CAN do 3D. I just can't find one.

Advertisement

You don't need a 2d engine to draw 2d objects - you can use a 3d engine for that just fine. Have you looked at Unity??? It seems like - from your post - this is exactly what you want. Check it out along with some 2d games that have been created using unity.

One awesome project that uses unity for a mixture of 2d and 3d is project eternity - bringing back the infinity engine games.

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

I've looked at Unity a little. But I worry that I would have to shell out cash not only for the engine but the 2d toolkit they offer and even then I still won't have a good 2D tiled RPG engine, let alone everything else I would like.

That's why I wish there was something like RPG Maker VX that also had enough in it to do basic 3D.

Well, it isn't specific to RPGs, but GameMaker can do basic 3d, though it is much more meant for 2d. You won't get any awesome effects like Unity or UDK very easily on the 3d side(though things can be done), but the 2d side of things is great. The bad news is that it would require you to learn the Gamemaker way of doing things, and you would have to redo the things you already have done. But, if you were able to do them in Javascript/HTML5, then you should be more than able to do them in GameMaker. The programming language(GML) has similarities to javascript and C/C++, so it isn't a far shot.

Now some good news. Once you get your stuff working in GameMaker, if you are using the new GMStudio, you will be able to export to many platforms, which would actually include HTML5. Also, you have access to WebGL at that point as well so even the 3d stuff would work.

I hate to end with bad news, but it is what it is. GMStudio has a price. The best deal is the master collection, which is expensive to some, but much less so than Unity. It comes with similar export options as Unity, where each one has a couple that the other does not. If you are interested in porting your games to many devices, then GMStudio is a great deal, but if you are only interested in windows, you could get the much cheaper version, which contains the same features, but without all of the exports. You could also purchase exports as you need them, but it ends up much more expensive that way than buying the Master Collection outright.

Thanks both of you. Ill be weighing my options and see where to go from there.

Why not just use XNA? I think it's the right tool for the job you're trying to do.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement