• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ChristOwnsMe

Unity Animation Design Help

This topic is 1908 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am working on a 2d game in Unity where the player can climb walls. The climbing is more like what real life climbing would be, not the generic 2d climbing we usually see where the player just sticks to a wall and walks up it. My current design of what this climbing system would be is to have a mesh that represents a wall, and have some kind of system that allows the player to climb the wall by pressing buttons and moving to the next "point" on the wall mesh. 

I believe this would allow the player to actually climb along the wall, but I am thinking about how the animation would work, and I am having design issues. I am curious as to some common ways to design animations so that they look "correct" when a player is moving towards a point with his arms and legs. The players body would need to rotate properly as he is climbing the wall so that he appears to be touching the wall, his arms and legs would have to be in the correct positions, etc. 

I know my question is pretty vague, but if I have conveyed enough information, and you have any ideas that came to you as you read this, I would appreciate some general guidance or wisdom on this. Thank you very much!

Advertisement

I am curious as to some common ways to design animations so that they look "correct" when a player is moving towards a point with his arms and legs.

the common way is to apply classic techniques of character animation using forward kinematics or inverse kinematics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_animation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_principles_of_animation

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=charcter+animation&oq=charcter+animation&gs_l=hp.3..0i13l10.1596.7213.0.7465.18.14.0.0.0.0.1777.5927.0j3j2j3j1j3j8-1.13.0.epsugrpqhmsignedin%2Chmss2%3Dfalse...0...1.1.25.hp..14.4.866.5ccTE0qIyi8

there are a number of books and courses, and a few online tutorials on the subject.

its an artistic skill, just like painting or 3d modeling / sculpture.

A climbing game would likely be using a Forward kinematic solution using inverse kinematics to reach and position the hands and feet.

Inverse kinematics solves a character's pose by positioning the terminal joints and then solving the system back towards root joints using some constraints. Generally inverse kinematics by themselves looks poor as it's missing all of the nuanced movement you get from motion captured data (forward kinematics). Forward kinematic solutions by themselves don't work since they have no way to adjust the hands and feet to properly place them where they need to go.

Blending the two generally produces much better results (keep all the nicely captured realistic movement from motion capture while still adjusting the hands and feet to be positioned properly).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!