Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL App bottleneck - frame drops

This topic is 1605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am newbie to OpenGL ES (so far, I used mainly DX11). Now for my scene, I have about 100 draw calls. I can use instancing, but only about half of objects can be instanced, so draw calls count would be about 50 - 60 / frame. Every object is max. 700 triangles (I use low-poly models)

What is some kind of limit of drawcalls per scene (targeting iPhone 4 like performance devices) ? So far I am running my code via NVidia GLES (http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tegra/docs/win_es2emu_pack_v100.pdf) on Windows, but there is a lot of power from my CPU and GPU, so I can tell, how it will behave on mobile device.

Or is there a way, how to find bottleneck of my application ? I know gDebugger is for OpenGL, but with ES version it behave sometimes weird (a lot of warnings in calls I dont have in my code, so I suspect them to be from GLES layer code).

Edited by Martin Perry

The only way to find out what the bottleneck is, is by running your game on a target device and profiling. You're just not going to get a good answer running GLES on Windows, or even the iOS simulator on a Mac.

The iOS development tools include profilers which will help you identify where your CPU time is going and whether you are bound by fill-rate, vertex processing time or by CPU.

But I imagine you want some rule of thumb, so here's my guestimate. Earlier iOS devices had a pretty severe CPU cost per draw call, and I have spent a lot of time rearranging things to absolutely minimize draw calls for apps that targeted 3GS and earlier. Since then, Apple have improved the drivers a lot, and the CPUs have improved greatly too. Given you are targeting only iPhone 4 and onwards, draw calls should not be such a big issue for you, especially if you are using vertex buffer objects. 100 draw calls is probably enough to make a mark on your CPU profile, but is unlikely IMO to be a dominating factor in stopping you from hitting 60fps. To pluck a figure out of the air, I'd imagine it'll eat about 20% of your frame time.

Often, the trickier problem if you're targeting iPhone4 and iPad1 is that they have a lot of pixels, and not enough GPU power to cope, so fill-rate is usually a big problem. Hopefully your product doesn't require a lot of transparency, and your pixel shaders are super simple. If you're doing per-pixel lighitng, then you'd better implemenet a per-vertex alternative to use on Phone4/iPad1. You'll also need to make good use of the GLES shader precision in your shaders to squeeze out the most from your pixel shaders.

This topic is 1605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By xhcao
      Does sync be needed to read texture content after access texture image in compute shader?
      My simple code is as below,
      glUseProgram(program.get());
      glBindImageTexture(0, texture[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 3, GL_READ_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glBindImageTexture(1, texture[1], 0, GL_FALSE, 4, GL_WRITE_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glDispatchCompute(1, 1, 1);
      // Does sync be needed here?
      glUseProgram(0);
      glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, framebuffer);
      glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,
                                     GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + face, texture[1], 0);
      glReadPixels(0, 0, kWidth, kHeight, GL_RED_INTEGER, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, outputValues);

Compute shader is very simple, imageLoad content from texture[0], and imageStore content to texture[1]. Does need to sync after dispatchCompute?
    • By Jonathan2006
      My question: is it possible to transform multiple angular velocities so that they can be reinserted as one? My research is below:
      // This works quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); quat quaternion2 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion1, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2)); quat quaternion3 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion2, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromQuaternion(quaternion3).array); // The first two work fine but not the third. Why? quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); vec3 vector1 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion1, angularVelocity1); quat quaternion2 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2); vec3 vector2 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion2, angularVelocity2); // This doesn't work //quat quaternion3 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3); //vec3 vector3 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion3, angularVelocity3); vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, vector2); // Does not work: vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, GEAddVectors(vector2, vector3)); static vec3 angleRadiansVector; vec3 angularAcceleration = GESetVector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0); // Sending it through one angular velocity later in my motion engine angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(angleVelocity, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angularAcceleration, timeStep)); angleRadiansVector = GEAddVectors(angleRadiansVector, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angleVelocity, timeStep)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromEulerAngle(angleRadiansVector).array); Also how do I combine multiple angularAcceleration variables? Is there an easier way to transform the angular values?
    • By dpadam450
      I have this code below in both my vertex and fragment shader, however when I request glGetUniformLocation("Lights[0].diffuse") or "Lights[0].attenuation", it returns -1. It will only give me a valid uniform location if I actually use the diffuse/attenuation variables in the VERTEX shader. Because I use position in the vertex shader, it always returns a valid uniform location. I've read that I can share uniforms across both vertex and fragment, but I'm confused what this is even compiling to if this is the case.

#define NUM_LIGHTS 2
      struct Light
      {
          vec3 position;
          vec3 diffuse;
          float attenuation;
      };
      uniform Light Lights[NUM_LIGHTS];

• By pr033r
      Hello,
      I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL". All OpenGL issues works fine for me, all rendering etc. But when I started implement the boid's algorithm it was getting worse and worse. I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code (here: https://github.com/jyanar/Boids/tree/master/src) but it still doesn't work like in tutorials and videos. For example the main problem: when I apply Cohesion (one of three main laws of boids) it makes some "cycling knot". Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 
      I followed many tutorials, change a try everything but it isn't so smooth, without lags like in another videos. I really need your help. 
      My code (optimalizing branch): https://github.com/pr033r/BachelorProject/tree/Optimalizing
      Exe file (if you want to look) and models folder (for those who will download the sources):
      http://leteckaposta.cz/367190436
      Thanks for any help...

• By Andrija
      I am currently trying to implement shadow mapping into my project , but although i can render my depth map to the screen and it looks okay , when i sample it with shadowCoords there is no shadow.
      Here is my light space matrix calculation
      mat4x4 lightViewMatrix; vec3 sun_pos = {SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[0], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[1], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[2]}; mat4x4_look_at(lightViewMatrix,sun_pos,player->pos,up); mat4x4_mul(lightSpaceMatrix,lightProjMatrix,lightViewMatrix); I will tweak the values for the size and frustum of the shadow map, but for now i just want to draw shadows around the player position
      the_sun->direction is a normalized vector so i multiply it by a constant to get the position.
      player->pos is the camera position in world space
      the light projection matrix is calculated like this:
      mat4x4_ortho(lightProjMatrix,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,NEAR,SHADOW_FAR); Shadow vertex shader:
      uniform mat4 light_space_matrix; void main() { gl_Position = light_space_matrix * transfMatrix * vec4(position, 1.0f); } Shadow fragment shader:
      out float fragDepth; void main() { fragDepth = gl_FragCoord.z; } I am using deferred rendering so i have all my world positions in the g_positions buffer
      My shadow calculation in the deferred fragment shader:
      float get_shadow_fac(vec4 light_space_pos) { vec3 shadow_coords = light_space_pos.xyz / light_space_pos.w; shadow_coords = shadow_coords * 0.5 + 0.5; float closest_depth = texture(shadow_map, shadow_coords.xy).r; float current_depth = shadow_coords.z; float shadow_fac = 1.0; if(closest_depth < current_depth) shadow_fac = 0.5; return shadow_fac; } I call the function like this:
      get_shadow_fac(light_space_matrix * vec4(position,1.0)); Where position is the value i got from sampling the g_position buffer
      Here is my depth texture (i know it will produce low quality shadows but i just want to get it working for now):
      sorry because of the compression , the black smudges are trees ... https://i.stack.imgur.com/T43aK.jpg
      EDIT: Depth texture attachment:
      glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24,fbo->width,fbo->height,0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT,GL_FLOAT,NULL); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, fbo->depthTexture, 0);
  • Popular Now