NEWBIE looking for answers

Started by
4 comments, last by minibutmany 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi everyone

Yes i know many questions and us Newbies tend to try take on to much and fail and then tend to scare ourselves away, but i am looking for specific answers

Lets see i have the following programs Pygame, RPG MAKER VX Ace, Construct 2, Game Maker 8.1 Pro and dont know any of them and cant make up my mind (also looking to browse Unity

Now i have zero experience in game making or programming but would like to make a game for my own pleasure, the game im looking to make is something like Fallout or Fallout 2, the Sims (i believe thats 2D - (top viewer looking down) I MAY BE WRONG CAN THEY BE A 3D GAME TOPSHOOTER

and i read the comments and advice like start small - make Mario brothers etc but lets be realistic Mario is more of a platform or level game (like flipping through pages of a book) in the Game Maker i did the project with the apples and bananas etc and you click on them and get score and that is nowhere near Fall Out or something similar, in fact after i completed Game Maker project i felt that i had not really learned anything towards achieving the greater goal

in a bigger game character/s must run shoot jump etc (yes create scripts) but i also know there is more to it than that, you must create your world, your interact-able surroundings, gear objects etc.

i read about PNG files etc and have no idea why cant one use BMP or GIF or JPEG,

I think ok i create a road (rephrase that i look for free/shareware graphics) some buildings etc how do i resize it or the character so the character is not taller than the Empire State Building when u actually run the game

if i want to change the characters dress code or equip him

if i want him to show hunger or tiredness etc

if i want to use a vehicle or upgrade or modify vehicle etc e.g u must have tools frst before u can modify or fix

explore and enter buildings and terrain

build shelters or barricades or fences

build solar power units using various objects etc

joining pipes

Now As stated i do not know code or how to create it hence the (game creating program) are these programs good enough to do this

and where would one go to get really good looking graphics such as various weapons EG (men of WAR - Fallout 1 -2 or just tins of food radios car parts etc -- buildings, terrain cities etc

(can one use pictures from books, photo and then scan into photoshop or paint)

as i said clicking on apples for score kinda left me more in the dark - Mario Bros at this point in time will be a ambitious project (unless very simplistic)

Very important Question what program should i use from the listed what will suit my needs plus

So yes its very ambitious but im looking to start small and simplistic (but not stickman simplistic) and as i progress add to it all the time

Advertisement

It sounds like you're more into game design/level design than anything!

Unity is a good platform and it has a ton of tutorials/support if you're really looking to get into this sort of thing. Pygame isn't for you buddy, sorry! RPG Maker won't get you The Sims or Fallout either, and I don't personally think it will teach you a ton about creating games! It's more for storyboard writers who like drag-and-drop. Game Maker is a great piece of kit for those just starting out, but again you'll struggle to produce either of the games you mentioned ;)

There are plenty of free graphics websites - just google 'free 3d models'. Or even 'free game assets'.

If only creating the next Fallout/Sims was as simple as you make it sound - trust me, guys who have been at it for 10 years couldn't do that sort of thing on their own. Pick something simple - perhaps a run-and-gun game? You run around and shoot stuff.. Nothing complex there. Unity by default comes with a great example of something like this. Download it and give it a go :-) If this seems too daunting, stick with Game Maker for a bit and try something a bit more complex than apples and bananas... Good luck!

BSc Computer Games Programming (De Montfort University) Graduate

Worked on Angry Birds Go! at Exient Ltd

Co-founder of Stormburst Studios

The only thing you need is a natural love of learning, and the game will practically make itself in about a decade.

Not sure I understand if you consider learning to program (you will have to do that if you want to use Unity) or just learn how to script simple things.

The point of starting small is that you won't be able to add stuff and learn as you go.

You will have to throw away what you have many times. You can't hope to keep the parts together as that one project gets more complex.

Handling complexity is a skill you need to work on.

in a bigger game character/s must run shoot jump etc (yes create scripts) but i also know there is more to it than that, you must create your world, your interact-able surroundings, gear objects etc.

That is exactly what you learn while you work on smaller projects ... how everything is connected and how features can be added.

Start small projects that cover some of the things you want in your big project.

Make the jump and run character customizable for example ... or write a snake version with a map that is represented the way you want it (see http://www.gamedev.net/topic/647023-j-rpg-game-style-graphics/)?

There are many articles here if you want to learn how to program. Google is also great. The important thing is learning to think like a game developer and getting an overview so that you are able to ask those questions / speak the language.

As I see it the questions are not very specific yet. At least if you want advice regarding this:

if i want to use a vehicle or upgrade or modify vehicle etc e.g u must have tools frst before u can modify or fix

joining pipes

Filetypes:

• gif has a very limited palette and only supports completely transparent or not transparent at all (not xy% transparent)
  • jpg doesn't support transparency at all and there is quality loss and artifacts (it is great for photos, not symbols, charts or pixel art ... stuff like that)
  • bmp is not compressed ... meaning the filesizes will be insane and it doesn't support transparency as far as I know (you need a color key to create transparency in the software)
  • png supports all the colors that jpg supports, it supports transparency and it is compressed

Think in pixels ... you want to create a 2d game? You can work in any resolution if you choose a painterly approach ... but then you should scale the image down to the desired size and choose pixels as the unit.

Then what you see is what you get (unless you are zoomed out or in of course). I suggest Gimp ... it isn't that hard to learn how to work with it and there are many tutorials.

Be careful with free stuff, though. You need to be aware of the licenses and how you may use them. It also means that others can use those graphics as well. I also don't think that there is that much high quality content available for free that you could create the game you have in mind with it.

Scanning something is not an option if you want to publish your game. You need permission to use it. So either find free stuff with an agreeable license, make you own or hire an artist (or team up / find a partner maybe).

You have not mentioned what your ambitions are (making money?) ...

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

i read about PNG files etc and have no idea why cant one use BMP or GIF or JPEG,

Because PNG is a perfect all-around format that is lossless, supports alpha channel and transparency, and is nowadays also widely supported. Bmp, gif, jpeg were there ages ago when there wasn't a good all-around format around. Many legacy game engines still might require them.

I think ok i create a road (rephrase that i look for free/shareware graphics) some buildings etc how do i resize it or the character so the character is not taller than the Empire State Building when u actually run the game

joining pipes

Now As stated i do not know code or how to create it hence the (game creating program) are these programs good enough to do this

So you want to make a dream game, but you can't really do much yet. That is normal.

and where would one go to get really good looking graphics such as various weapons EG (men of WAR - Fallout 1 -2 or just tins of food radios car parts etc -- buildings, terrain cities etc

(can one use pictures from books, photo and then scan into photoshop or paint)

The world and the internet are full of beautiful images. But you can't just copy or scan them to your game because the result is mismatching and material is often copyrighted. If you want good quality graphics you are going to most certainly need to work on it yourself or hire a professional. But there's no reason the standards should be high as you are only making your first couple of games.

So yes its very ambitious but im looking to start small and simplistic (but not stickman simplistic) and as i progress add to it all the time

You probably shouldn't start on your dream game just yet because it will be too much work and you'll only run out of motivation before getting anything done. You will need to be patient and start small and only make the next project slightly bigger than previous. That way your skills improve and you aren't facing the impossible which would be very demotivating.

Game maker is good for starting, but for your "dream project" your best bet is probably Pygame, but of course you will need to learn Python.

Do you have Python installed? You will need Python to use Pygame.

Unity is the other good option in your list.

Both learning Unity and learning Python will take a big learning curve....probably a few months before you can start to build games from the ground up, without using tutorials.

Even if a project like mario doesn't seem relevant to your dream game.....it is.

Also, when you are done with your dream game, won't you want to know how to make other games too?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement