Can Pyglet or PyOpenGL make high quality graphics games?

Started by
15 comments, last by jbadams 10 years, 7 months ago

I didn't know. It uses OpenGL. Isn't that a "super" graphics engine like DirectX?

Advertisement

You know what one of the most important factors is in games with high-quality graphics?

High quality art assets.

Engine and technology certainly can and does have an impact -- especially when wanting to use certain graphical effects -- but beginners often forget that rather than the engine or API used it's the art assets themselves that play one of the biggest roles in graphical quality; you can make a stunningly gorgeous game with almost any API choice if you have high-quality assets, and you can make the ugliest game in the world with the latest and greatest technology if you have bad assets.

More specifically addressing your question, I don't really know all that much about Pyglet, but PyOpenGL should certainly be capable as long as it's used properly and you're able to work within the constraints presented by working with Python as a language.

Hope that helps! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Only High quality art assets? Its just 50% of quality, becouse other 50% is shaders, buffers,geometric-grafic algorithms (than effect is more math than art)...

Only High quality art assets?

Did I say "only high quality art assets"? ph34r.png

I'm fairly certain that what I actually said was that high quality art assets are "one of the most important factors", and that "engine and technology certainly can and does have an impact -- especially when wanting to use certain graphical effects". smile.png

You're absolutely correct that shaders, rendering capabilities, etc. are also very important in some cases, but all too often in these sort of discussions assets go entirely unmentioned when realistically -- unless we've been given specific information suggesting other factors will be more important, and especially when addressing a beginner -- assets should probably be one of the first and most important considerations.

AAA teams are going to have access to talented artists, and are almost certainly going to be making use of some of the latest and greatest in graphical technology to get the absolute best our of their game and produce something truly stunning. The same cannot be said about a beginner asking whether certain APIs will allow them to create "high quality graphics", and it's likely that someone in that position will get far more bang for their buck by concentrating on good quality assets rather than worrying too much about high-end rendering capabilities that won't make poor assets look better anyway.

The context of the question is important, and johnnyMakesGames isn't going to be working on a AAA blockbuster with all of the latest and greatest effects; he might not even use shaders at all, but that doesn't mean he can't make a beautiful game by using great assets that are appropriate for the project.

smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

A little bit off topic, perhaps, but I think still relevant:

Is python itself (as an interpreted language) fast enough to make something that might be considered a "high quality graphics game?"

I've used python before, but I'm pretty new to both python and game dev, so I'm genuinely curious.

A little bit off topic, perhaps, but I think still relevant:

Is python itself (as an interpreted language) fast enough to make something that might be considered a "high quality graphics game?"

I've used python before, but I'm pretty new to both python and game dev, so I'm genuinely curious.

Pushing a 3m triangle model with some textures and a advanced shaders to the GPU and then drawing it using python will be pretty much as fast as doing it with any other language (most of the work will be done by the driver and the GPU and any overhead in the language runtime will be pretty close to irrelevant). Sorting through a scene with 10k objects and performing things like occlusion culling for them however will be significantly slower if your chosen runtime doesn't perform well.

Thus:

Yes, you can make games with high quality graphics using python.

but:

Excessive processing on the CPU will take longer with any currently available python runtime than it would with well optimized native code which does reduce the possible complexity of your scenes and of your gameplay on any given hardware.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

You know what one of the most important factors is in games with high-quality graphics?

High quality art assets.

Engine and technology certainly can and does have an impact -- especially when wanting to use certain graphical effects -- but beginners often forget that rather than the engine or API used it's the art assets themselves that play one of the biggest roles in graphical quality; you can make a stunningly gorgeous game with almost any API choice if you have high-quality assets, and you can make the ugliest game in the world with the latest and greatest technology if you have bad assets.

More specifically addressing your question, I don't really know all that much about Pyglet, but PyOpenGL should certainly be capable as long as it's used properly and you're able to work within the constraints presented by working with Python as a language.

Hope that helps! smile.png

I'm sorry to be dumb again, but how do you know if something is high quality for the purposes of a game? Do you have an example? I can see some sprites look better than others but not sure what you mean by high quality. Was hoping for links so I could see.

We did Jewel Quest 5 and Jewel Quest 6 on python. It was C++ engine with python bindings.

Where 99% of game code was written on python.

I'm sorry to be dumb again, but how do you know if something is high quality for the purposes of a game? Do you have an example? I can see some sprites look better than others but not sure what you mean by high quality. Was hoping for links so I could see.

High quality assets:

Krall_HighPoly_1.jpg

Low quality assets:

steamengineer.jpg

Most beginner games look like the second one because they cannot afford to pay for full-time professional modelers and artists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement