Best practice for presenting enumerated display modes?

Started by
1 comment, last by Zipster 10 years, 7 months ago

We're currently working on the video settings UI for our project, and we've run into a bit of a presentation issue regarding the enumerated display modes. In our past DX9 projects, we presented a list of modes to the user in the following format:

<width> x <height>, (<refresh rate> Hz[, Widescreen])

However the issue in DX11 is that multiple display modes can be enumerated that have different refresh rate numerators and denominators, yet result in the same integral value when divided, regardless of rounding (i.e. 59940 / 1000 and 59950 / 1000). Plus, multiple display modes can have identical widths, heights, and refresh rate ratios, yet have different scaling values (unspecified, centered, stretched).

My question is, what's the best practice for building a list of unique resolutions for presenting to the user? We'd like to keep it simple so that the user is only making a choice based on width, height, and integral refresh rate (numerator / denominator), however if multiple display modes have the same values, which one takes precedence? Why would I choose 59940 over 59950?

Advertisement

The easiest way is to choose which display modes you are interested in as game designer, check if they are available on client side, and display those which are correct. I dont think you need to display all.

Cheers.

The easiest way is to choose which display modes you are interested in as game designer, check if they are available on client side, and display those which are correct. I dont think you need to display all.

Cheers.

Even so, let's say I want to include 1920x1080 in the list. When I enumerate the display modes, I get five different modes with that resolution. One is 50Hz, and four are 60Hz (either 59940 / 1000 or 59950 / 1000). At the latter ratio, there is one mode for each of three scaling types (unspecified, centered, and stretched). Out of the four 60Hz modes, which one do I choose? Even if we ignore the scaling type, there's still two 60Hz modes, and when we create the swap chain we have to choose one set of ratios... I'm just not 100% clear on the implications of choosing one ratio over another.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement