Engine Structure?

Started by
11 comments, last by Norman Barrows 10 years, 7 months ago

is a better way that would allow more control by game developers. For example I can see just hooks being a limiting factor

library vs engine.

library beats engine for flexibility every time.

from recent research of mine, it appears that a library combined with boilerplate code is the way to go. The library provides the flexibility. The boilerplate code provides the "framework" or "engine". but since its boilerplate, the user has full control, and is not limited by hooks, forced to inherit from an existing object hierarchy, etc. sort of an "open source" engine.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

Just a re-iteration of some above posts because it's so important. Avoid Public Global Static Objects. Don't use them because its easy. It is going to make life really hard when there is a flat hierarchal structure and anything can access/call anything else. Pass in your managers by reference, it will save you a lot of headache in the long run.

When you use some api for example winapi - you have a

"flat hierarchal structure and anything can access/call anything else" (not exactly = anything in a file can use anything from the header you put into it) Do you find it as a problem?, I did not encounter a problem related to that

library vs engine update:

i pulled an all nighter friday, and tried to convert my testbed engine to a layered library layout.

when it came to move_entity(), doing it without callbacks was ugly:

movement_left=move_first()

// check and handle collisions

if entity_collision()..... // library call

if user_collision().... // user implemented, checks for collisions with the world/level map, etc. IE game specific stuff other than entities.

while (movement_left)

movement_left=move_next()

IE the findfirst - findnext "pattern" for step movement, with user code in-between doing collision checks and handling.

actual code was twice as long and twice as ugly.

callback was much nicer:

pre-move entity

if entity vs entity collision occurs, callback user_collision_handler()

if callback user_defined_collision() occurs, callback user_collision_handler(). or even simpler, one callback: process_user _collisions()

update position

it worked so well, i used the callback "pattern" for similar cases.

by the end, i had inverted the engine to be boilerplate code and layered libraries, then re-inverted it back into an engine.

so now its looking like engine is better, despite the callbacks. you just have to have enough hooks of the right type in the right places to provide needed flexibility.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement