How to develop a very basic game? I don't have any programming knowledge and background

Started by
20 comments, last by Ah Jim Gor 10 years, 7 months ago

Dear superhero,

I like game a lot, and i some how i believe i have plenty of idea in my mind and i wish i can create my very own first game, even very basic game will do.

I have no programming background at all, which mean, i know nothing about those code and language. But i willing to learn..

So, here come the question, where so i start? What should i learn first? I have no fund to college or Uni to study, all i can do is learn from web.

Please advice.

From

Weak Civilian from Earth.

Advertisement

I don't think you can make it without any programming knowledge at all. I mean yeah, you have to understand basic elements to be able to write program by means of simple scripting language like Python.

There is like tons of programming courses over the web. If you are not familiar with programming at all I would recommend you Harvard's CS50 course. Make sure to watch all lectures, shorts, problem set explanations and all other videos. You can follow this program and make a simple games as a part of problem sets and final project. Sure you won't have any teachers responses, but if you need that you can absolutely schedule yourself onto next CS50 free course online which comes this january 1st 2014.

With this knowledge you will be able to write your first simple games, dive into 3rd party game development tools or just create your own.

Look at Game Maker.

Follow the threads at gamedev.net ... by other beginners and in the general programming and game programming forums.

You'll notice that some topics come up a lot ... those are usually things you might want to look into. Take a look at the questions that other people have and ask yourself if you need to know the same thing.

You don't "just" want to learn how to program, you also want an overview of the big picture to get an idea of what areas there are that you need to look into.

There are also a lot of tutorials about getting started in game development. Maybe do a google search and read the "New to the forums? Start here!" thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/641721-new-to-the-forums-start-here/

and resources like this one:

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

Something else: summarize your dreams and goals.

Do you want to work for a huge studio?

Do you want to make a fortune with an app?

Do you want to start a team at some point?

What platforms do you want to develop for?

When you ask for more specific advice later those things can make a difference.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

Dear Guardian of the Earth,

Thank you for your comment and contribution! And yeah, i appreciate it! I have download a software named '' RPG Maker VX ACE''. What you think about this software?

I don't think you can make it without any programming knowledge at all. I mean yeah, you have to understand basic elements to be able to write program by means of simple scripting language like Python.

There is like tons of programming courses over the web. If you are not familiar with programming at all I would recommend you Harvard's CS50 course. Make sure to watch all lectures, shorts, problem set explanations and all other videos. You can follow this program and make a simple games as a part of problem sets and final project. Sure you won't have any teachers responses, but if you need that you can absolutely schedule yourself onto next CS50 free course online which comes this january 1st 2014.

With this knowledge you will be able to write your first simple games, dive into 3rd party game development tools or just create your own.

Dear SuperHero!

Noted with thanks, I will look in to in soon.

Fact i have a goal in my mind. I would like to end with a Entertainment Company, come with 3 main department which develop online game (like WOW) , mobile game (something like Angry Bird or Candy Crush) and also mobile apps which targeted social media, business and finance.

Btw, it just an imagination. Too big to achieve.

Follow the threads at gamedev.net ... by other beginners and in the general programming and game programming forums.

You'll notice that some topics come up a lot ... those are usually things you might want to look into. Take a look at the questions that other people have and ask yourself if you need to know the same thing.

You don't "just" want to learn how to program, you also want an overview of the big picture to get an idea of what areas there are that you need to look into.

There are also a lot of tutorials about getting started in game development. Maybe do a google search and read the "New to the forums? Start here!" thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/641721-new-to-the-forums-start-here/

and resources like this one:

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

Something else: summarize your dreams and goals.

Do you want to work for a huge studio?

Do you want to make a fortune with an app?

Do you want to start a team at some point?

What platforms do you want to develop for?

When you ask for more specific advice later those things can make a difference.

As to not repeat what others have been saying, I'll mention Youtube. If you got a fair amount of imagination (which you seem to have, as you're referring to us with roleplaying lingo), you'll be surprised by how much of a cornucopia Youtube can be. I've learned and applied Java, XHTML, Javascript, HTML5 and a range of computer science topics Simply from watching Youtube videos (the right ones, that is). I've also learned about Notepad++, Paint.NET and how to actually draw decent pixel art from the same website.

Youtube is by far the best resource for learning anything, bar none. But it does require some "knack", as there's more then enough garbage on Youtube as well. Try looking on youtube when you already got a rough idea of what you're looking for. Also, books from Amazon shouldn't be ignored either.

tldr; Youtube and Amazon. Check it out! biggrin.png

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

If your goal is to be a games designer then concentrate on learning to make games and not learning to program.

Game Maker, Construct 2 and Game Salad are all decent packages for creating games with very little programming knowledge. As you make more games you will end up picking a little programming knowledge along the way.

Dear Guardian of the Earth,

Thank you for your comment and contribution! And yeah, i appreciate it! I have download a software named '' RPG Maker VX ACE''. What you think about this software?

Like I said you won't be able to make decent games without programming knowledge. The tool you provided is just another one of all those tools which is fine to use if you want to level up your game design skills. Yes you will be able to create few games as far as this concrete engine allows you (by spending quite some time to learn it while you could actually put this time into learning some programming/scripting languages and algorithms), but without basic understanding of what is going on behind the scenes you probably won't be able to become good game maker.

Dear superhero,

I like game a lot, and i some how i believe i have plenty of idea in my mind and i wish i can create my very own first game, even very basic game will do.

I have no programming background at all, which mean, i know nothing about those code and language. But i willing to learn..

So, here come the question, where so i start? What should i learn first? I have no fund to college or Uni to study, all i can do is learn from web.

Please advice.

From

Weak Civilian from Earth.

this would be a very helpfull post here, check up

those lines

<canvas id='canvas' width='640' height='480'></canvas>

<script>

var x_pos = 320;
var y_pos = 200;
var width = 640;
var height = 480;

var game_won = false;

var canvas = document.getElementById("canvas").getContext("2d");

function DrawThings()
{
 canvas.fillStyle="#004f00";
 canvas.fillRect(0,0,width,height);

canvas.fillStyle="#ffffff";
 canvas.fillRect(x_pos,y_pos,10,10);

canvas.font="22px arial";
 canvas.fillStyle="#ff0000";
 canvas.fillText(" EScape - Grrreat javascript game by fir ",20,20);

if(game_won)
  {
  canvas.fillStyle="#ffaa00";
  canvas.fillText(" You escaped! :) Congratulations Game Over ",20,70);
  }
 }

function RunGame()
{
if(x_pos<0 || x_pos>width || y_pos<0 || y_pos>height) game_won = true;

DrawThings();

}

document.onkeydown = function()
{
  switch (window.event.keyCode)
  {
   case 37: x_pos-=10; break;
   case 38: y_pos-=10; break;
   case 39: x_pos+=10; break;
   case 40: y_pos+=10; break;
  }
};

setInterval(function(){ RunGame();} , 100);

</script>

insert it into text file and rename it as a something.html then

you could run it in browser, This is quite powerfull and easy

environment to make some games (i wrote it in about half an

hour - it may be somewhat wrong, cause i never ever in my life was doin something html/javascript related, (i am c man), but it is very quick and fine way to start IMO) It is honey easy way to start running something. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement