Suggestion needed on a new project (RPG game)

Started by
2 comments, last by Norman Barrows 10 years, 7 months ago

Ok I am a newbie to XNA. I have created 2 games in 2d. One is a space-shooter game and other is a ping pong game. Now I want to create a 2d rpg game. I want to create it like DBZ buu fury(gba) type rpg game in XNA. So any suggestion on how should I start.

Any advice or suggestions are open.

Advertisement

It's a bit of an open ended question, really - do you want to know how to make XNA games? Then you should probably do a small project in XNA before you get started on this one (google for a few tutorials and make a snake game just to get a feel for the framework).

As for the actual rpg I think you might want to learn some scripting before you get started on something like that. It'll help you craft NPC interactions faster, for one thing.

Since you already made two games I'll spare you the whole "lower your expectations" speech but an rpg of any scale is still pretty ambitious in my opinion - if I was you I'd tackle something more along the lines of a tetris or mario clone.

Nobody likes working on something for a year then having to ditch it - completing 5 small games is better than abandoning 1 large one, if only for your morale.

Complexity will increase as your experience does, so don't sweat it :)

thanks...but I am not planning on a large project...I am just going to create one level...where player fights with the computer in 2d....as I am not planning on something big until or unless I am in a team or I am getting paid for it. And i am only creating the game so that I can improve my gaming developing experience....

you know what you want to make.

you've chosen a framework.

get the required compiler.

learn the required programming language if you haven't yet.

R.T.F.M. for XNA.

design

start coding

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement