I Already Pick my Language and Now What i Need?

Started by
5 comments, last by ISDCaptain01 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi everyone so i already pick my language and it is Python and i want to know what i need to make my simple 2D RPG game?what tool i must download to make RPG game?or anything else i really don't know what i must do and what the best for beginner like me Python 2 or Python 3? Arigato biggrin.png

Advertisement

For 2D in python you can go with pygame

download from www.pygame.org or run "apt-get install python-pygame"

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

You seem to assume that he is using a Unix or Unix-like OS for that apt-get command.

You seem to assume that he is using a Unix or Unix-like OS for that apt-get command.

That makes a nice change from assuming Windows and providing a link to the "setup.exe".

However, it does specifically assume a Debian based Linux distro (probably Ubuntu) as opposed to UNIX-like in general but it certainly is a start towards popularity of developing games on open-source platforms smile.png

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

I learn way better by reading sample code, over any books or tutorials.

If you want to give it a try, go here:

http://rampantgames.com/hackenslash

It's an open source game, made with pygame afaik.

Btw, I always recommend starting with the most up-to-date versions of anything, unless they are officially not recommended.

Download from the website or from a repository. Can't see how he assumes that...

The website only has Windows and Mac packages and the instructions and links it provides on how to get the Linux packages are pretty darn poor

it is 5 clicks total to get to the correct package for Ubuntu through the pygame.org website(it provides a search link and doesn't mention the full name of the package), and then i have to know exactly which version of the package i want and avoid the sourcecode packages, at the end when its time to select a download mirror the ubuntu website will provide me with a strong recommendation to use the package manager instead. My only assumption was that most Ubuntu/Debian/Mint/etc users would find that quite annoying.

(i can't seem to make a apt:python-pygame clicky link on these forums, otherwise i would have done that instead since copy&pasting is annoying as well)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I do hope you have some already simple games under your belt. An rpg isn't easy to code, even if its a simple one

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement