Should I learn how to draw?

Started by
14 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 7 months ago

Im learning how to program at the moment.

should I learn how to draw too? like what if I want to test out some games, do I need artwork for it?

I mean im not trying to be michelangelo or anything, I just want to be competent enough to draw figures for game testing.

also, Is drawing neccesarry for 3d games?

Advertisement

also, Is drawing neccesarry for 3d games?

No. At the higher levels, you nead to model over a sketch. But you can download an image from the internet, and model over that.

should I learn how to draw too? like what if I want to test out some games, do I need artwork for it?
I mean im not trying to be michelangelo or anything, I just want to be competent enough to draw figures for game testing.

No, For testing purposes, you can use ugly art (stick figures/ 8 bit).

Regardless, learning how to draw is fun.

Alot of people don't try to learn it, and assume you are only born with it.

Learning how to draw decent comic-book level takes around 1-2 months, art if you have no prior knowledge .

And you need a scanner to use your drawings in a game.

Do you have 1-2 months & a scanner?

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Thanks

No. At the higher levels, you nead to model over a sketch. But you can download an image from the internet, and model over that.

'images' like in real life pictures or just other peoples' drawings?

well if it takes just takes couple months to learn how to draw comic-book/cartoon art(assuming that I draw 2-3 hours a day and reach these results), I see no harm in learning how.

Then again, some don't draw pleasure from drawing :( I wish you luck however, it is a skill that will elude me forver, due to a lack of passion and patience for it.

Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

'images' like in real life pictures or just other peoples' drawings?

Doesn't matter. It's sort of like tracing over another picture. So it can be a photo, a sketch or anything else. The obvious advantage of drawing by yourself, is that you can get any picture you like. The obvious disatvantage is that it takes way more time then searching on google.

well if it takes just takes couple months to learn how to draw comic-book/cartoon art(assuming that I draw 2-3 hours a day and reach these results), I see no harm in learning how.

Make sure you take a course, or read a book. What a lot of people who do not draw fail to realise is that drawing is methodical. Just like you learn Loops, Methods, Data-Structures and Algorithms before you can program, you need to study drawing techniques. Just sketching on a piece of paper for a couple of months will not yield good results. It would be the same as opening an editor and writing random code smile.png .

I took a short course and practiced at home and it did wonders for me.

Then again, some don't draw pleasure from drawing I wish you luck however, it is a skill that will elude me forver, due to a lack of passion and patience for it.

Agreed, no amateur game-dev should draw unless it fascinates him or brings him some enjoyment. You can make excellent games without knowing how to draw.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

More than drawing, I think theory on the visual arts is especially important, regardless of the type of project you're making.

Color theory, lighting, textures, camera angles etc. You'll start thinking about color-schemes, styles, how to use color to convey moods etc. making your game much more polished.

These things deal with aesthetics (the "beautiful"), and not necessarily drawing skill. A talented photographer, for example, may not know how to draw but can know how to take an excellent picture.

There's a Visual Arts forum around here:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/641912-2d-tutorials-and-learning-resources/

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/647063-tips-on-learning-pixel-art/#entry5089931

It should take you about an hour to learn how to draw basic pixel art. Then after that, you decide yourself how much time you want to spend each piece. The more time you spend nitpicking, the better it'll look. And of course it's gonna look better with experience, as practice makes perfect. But it's one of the easiest things in the world to learn, tbh. I honestly don't like it much, yet even I'm able to draw some kickass 16- and 32-pixel sprites. Go online, on youtube, whatever. And download GIMP or Paint.NET for free (I use the latter, but many prefer GIMP over Paint.NET, as well).

And yes, you should definitely learn how to draw some basic pixel art, if only for the making of crude textures that helps convey your game to a potential publisher or whatever. But you don't technically need to learn it. Using the internet effectively, you can get resources for free, and even hire people to do stuff.

But sitting down for a day or two and browsing the various articles and youtube, in order to get the fundamentals down? Not exactly a titanic investment, if you ask me.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

YES!

You shouldn't but it is very fun and gives you opportunity to make your own assets. I definitely would like to learn how to draw amazing art.

I wouldn't do 2 things at once. Learning how to program is time consuming. Learning how to draw on top of that is gonna drain you. Chose one: Programmer or Artist?

Than starting working towards the one you choose. Quality of quantity anyday.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement