Want to create a small 2D RPG

Started by
7 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 10 years, 7 months ago

Hello!

I am very new to this forum, but I like it a lot and will probably stay here for a while.

I am currently studying C++ in high school, and I have a big interest for Zelda-like RPG's so I would like to give it a shot.

I know how to code VB well, I know C# fairly well and I have basic knowledge of C++. I'm guessing C++ is the best way to go.

The game is going to be hack 'n slash combat style, so no advanced combat scenes. As for sprites, I have a friend that's very talented when it comes to pixel art.

Where do I start? What game engine do I use?

Thanks in advance!

- Viggo

Advertisement

I see you are bent on programming languages, but I can say that it isn't always the best solution. For 2d games, GameMaker Studio may very well fit the bill, if you are working with a small budget. It handles a lot of the work that you'd have to do yourself, and is likely the best in general solution for 2d games.

I can also mention that you could look on devmaster.net for an engine list. There are things like haaf's engine(something like that) and SFML and SDL, and others that I've never used. i'm understanding that even these will require more work that something like GameMaker, but on the other hand, because you are doing more of it yourself, you have more control over internals, and can do some things that something like GameMaker can't do. On the other hand, with the introduction of Shaders to the art pipeline of GameMaker, there is much more you can do with it now.

Why not use RPGMaker to make your RPG?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I know how to code VB well, I know C# fairly well and I have basic knowledge of C++. I'm guessing C++ is the best way to go.

For a small 2D RPG C++ offers nothing that C# doesn't - so the best way to go is whichever of those two languages are easier and quicker for you to develop in.

But for even easier and quicker development, check out RPGMaker and see if it'll be an acceptable tool that'll work given the design constraints of you and your friend's RPG idea - bearing in mind that the RPGMaker community has expanded and extended the capabilities of RPG Maker through scripts and other things, so the out-of-the-box capabilities aren't the sole limitations of that tool.

The only reason I didn't suggest RPGMaker is because the game idea is more of a hack n slash game and not really a turn-based RPG, at least according to the OP. On the other hand, if the game were such a turn-based RPG, RPGMaker would indeed have been my first suggestion.

The only reason I didn't suggest RPGMaker is because the game idea is more of a hack n slash game and not really a turn-based RPG, at least according to the OP. On the other hand, if the game were such a turn-based RPG, RPGMaker would indeed have been my first suggestion.

fair point.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

RPG Maker can be extended through scripting, iirc - I'm not sure how well they work, but the community has added support for zelda-style action-adventure games with several different extensions to choose from.

I'd suggest looking up a list of the different extensions that provide something similar to what you want, and then see what games have been made that use those extensions, and see how smoothly the combat is and how closely they mesh with your own ideas.

I was impressed one day to see a MegaMan X sample made in RPGMaker:

[media]http:

[/media]

C# and XNA would probably be the way to go. The game loop and render is pretty much set up for you. You just need to define them to do what they should do.

Java is not too bad either. 3 of my games turned out pretty well in Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement