Sign in to follow this  
danromeo

Run .net app from a web page?

Hi.

I'm seeking methodology to run a fairly data heavy, gpu intensive highly graphical .net game from a web page.  I am a .net programmer but not a web guy at all so my level of expertise in this area is effectively zero at the moment.  

My goal is that people can log into a web site, download the necessary data, run the app at an acceptable frame rate, and interact with other online players.  Note that this app challenges the GPU even when run locally, so I have to keep latency to a bare minimum.  One method that occurs to me is to install and run the app from the local machine, while downloading data and interacting with other users on the web site.  

As in real life, I am approaching this naively and bright eyed.  ANY comments, suggestions, guidance, resources, and yes even bare face laughing at me, would be useful at this juncture.  From a Square One, Hello World perspective, HOW DO I DO THIS?????

Thanks!  

gamedev.net is awesome.

Silverlight will allow you to achieve complexity and GPU-acceleration to some extent. Tho I'm fairly sure that plugins can't give you the full capabilities of desktop application. It is just not possible with current level of plugins.

Using C# you wont find much for browser based developement. Silverlight was mentioned and you can use it for applications running within the browser. I have no idea if it fits your requirements but I don't think so.
Unity would be an other option but you probably would have to recreate your game within Unity. I don't know, what you're doing on the gpu but maybe Unity is also no real option for your purposes.

WebGL and most other browser based development requires JavaScript. You would have to port your game to JavaScript to use WebGL. Since WebGL uses the graphics unit your game may could run using JavaScript, depending on what exactly you're doing.

You also could try to make a combination of a "native" client (running on the computer, not within the browser) and a web page to select the server/game/session to join. There are plenty of games doing so, for example ace of spades (or at least an earlier version). You "just" would have to use a different protocol for the urls on the server list (valve does the same for steam and launching games) such as "mygame:" and your game would has to register itself during setup so it's opened every time such a link is clicked.

And there is still the traditional way of having no browser stuff at all.