Is Propellerhead Reason good for making game music?

Started by
7 comments, last by Midi Bros 10 years, 7 months ago

Whats up everyone? Im new to this forum and forums in general but Im very interested in making music for video games. I have been mainly been making Hip-Hop and EDM for about 8 years now and my DAW of choice is Propellerhead Reason. I also know how to use others like Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase but Reason is my comfort zone. Ive never scored a movie or video game before so i wanted to know if Reason would get the job done or should I rewire into Pro Tools or Logic. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Provided you have enough sounds (aka refills) to go after the genre/style you want, Reason is more than powerful enough to make game music. I've literally made all kinds of music with Reason and really enjoy it. The only limitation with Reason is that they do not support many 3rd party sample libraries (VST, AU, etc). They have Rack Extensions and their own Refills but there's plenty of good material there.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you very much. The only reason why I was worried was because video isnt supported in Reason and I assumed you need to see what your composing for. Also When I first joined I saw your post about how to stsrt your career as a composer and it was really good. Taught me a lot. Thanks again

Well that's a good point. If you're scoring a cinematic then you would need to import video. But most of the time I'm writing music for levels and don't need video.

Thanks!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for clearing that up. I was very confused about that. Also I have a lot of music but most of it is Hip-Hop, R&B, and Dub-Step. Should I use these to create a demo while working on a more of a cinematic and gaming demo or should i hold out until the new demo is done?

IIRC, Mass Effect music producer used FL Studio.

Anyway, you can make any DAW sound like whatever you want if you know how. Music theory won't change among DAWs, what a saw oscillator or an equalizer is either, so pick whatever you feel comfortable with and use it.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Thanks for clearing that up. I was very confused about that. Also I have a lot of music but most of it is Hip-Hop, R&B, and Dub-Step. Should I use these to create a demo while working on a more of a cinematic and gaming demo or should i hold out until the new demo is done?

It's your call really. You could publish your current demo and then update it with more cinematic and gaming-related demos later. Most folks are always changing their demo and more content goes live and is made public.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Keep in mind that you can also combine reason with other DAWs via ReWire. That way you can use VST effects or use the DAW's built in video functionality.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. It really helped me out. Now im going to put my demo reel together and hopefully land some gigs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement