Logo feedback?

Started by
7 comments, last by Cornstalks 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi. I'm completely remaking my website and decided to come up with a little "logo" of sorts. This is just a personal website that's mostly for my portfolio. My website isn't done, but it does have a light (nearly white) background. I asked for some feedback on reddit and am getting some decent input. I'm going for a clean, simple, professional look with my whole website/portfolio. With that being said, how does this logo look? What do you or don't you like about it?

16x16:

NHezkP0.png

32x32:

lDwgvdV.png

128x128:

0WGT9Wv.png

256x256:

nvulBy5.png

Link to imgur album. Thanks for your feedback! And if you have any tips on any other communities I should be asking for feedback I'd appreciate that. I'm trying to improve my artistic side.

FYI, my initials are "MB" and my name is my domain (more or less), so that's what the logo is trying to get at.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement

Since our background color here on GD should be close, it looks like it holds up well at various resolutions. I might suggest having a solid yellow vertical bar above your "M" in the 16x16 image as the light color combined with the yellow makes it a little difficult to make out. Just fill in the stripes that shouldn't have blue.

I think the logo comes off a little cheap as combining the initials like that is the first thing that pops into mind. On it's own is considered a cliché among professional graphic designers. Ideally your logo should tell something about what you do and be tailored to you. What sets up apart from other MBs? Is "mb" about plumbing, beauty, law, IT, art? Maybe you can add some shape to the letters to form something that connects to what you do?

If you really want a logo out of just the "m" and "b" I think you could do better than what you have. Pixelated look is yet another widely used cheap shortcut and comes off really generic and cold in my opinion. You should round some corners to add personality and sympathy into it but rather scrap the look and try to find inspiration from different fonts and come up with more creative way to combine the letter shapes. The letters "m" and "b" have interesting sharp and round corners and if I were you I would try to play more with ideas about that.

Also quick note on the colors: logo is a shape. Think "Coca-Cola". The text is their shape and red is their color and you've seen it combined in a million ways. A good logo works in black and white and you should not have a logo that requires 2 or more color shades to be readable. Your current logo doesn't work if you want to engrave it into laptop cover for example.

You should first come up with a logo shape and then think about "trademark colors" you want to use. Then you can build couple of logo variations with different image ratios for different uses (banners, headers, thumbnails, icons, wallpapers). Also note that if you're professional you should work on the logo with vector graphics or have it vectorized when you're done with the design.

Gosh, I hope I didn't come off too strong. It's just I've worked with logos quite a bit both designing and using them in advertising.

Thank you both very much for your thoughts! ShadowFlar3, honest, blunt feedback is exactly what I need, so thank you! I have no idea how to capture "software developer" in a logo without it looking like crap (because programmer art sucks smile.png ), so right now I'm trying to focus on a logo that relates to me in an immediately recognizable way (I'm hoping visualizing my initials might help someone remember my name... or at least my initials). I could do a longer/wider logo, but I'd prefer to stay around the 1:1 to ~16:9 ratio just to make it easier to place on my site's banner (and potential business cards).

How does the following logo look? I went with capital letters and an underline to try to give it more of a commanding look. I also tried to keep it very simple (maybe too simple?), as that's been the primary suggestion I've seen from people. I'm not 100% sure about the font (it's actually not a font; I just made the letters out of boxes and circles). I'm currently favoring the Lato and Open Sans fonts, so I'll try those in a bit when I have time (I didn't use a real font initially because I wanted to tweak ratios). I also want to try curving the top, inner corners of the "M" slightly (based on a circle with the same diameter as the stroke width).

Q698MvD.png

Also, I'm doing this all in vector graphics (even the previous logo). I work in Inkscape (wish I had Illustrator).

Edit: I just played around with a few alternates:
First:
zbPuv2t.png

Ditching the underline:
x26J7hl.png
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Ok, now you're getting somewhere with the last version.

Well I'm sure you can come up with some shape that relates to software or IT in general. Pac-man, mouse cursor, enter key, ones and zeros, etc.If you come up with suitable one while developing your idea why not give it a try?

I think there mild unease with visual whitespace inside the M shape not correlating nicely to the 2 whitespaces inside the "B". It's probably the shape because area ratios 1:2:4 should be about right. Well this is just aesthetics smile.png

Noticed you could build a lowercase m out of the B shape by turning it 90 degrees? Could you get something out of it?

Just going to throw this out there: Your latest designs seem a little too similar to Milton Bradley as is.

Milton Bradley, looks like just another non-logo that is just text.

Since mb letters like any letter combination isn't too rare you can actually just Google image search you don't have identical design as someone else. Doing that search is also good eye opener if one thinks combining letters alone is original ;)

But don't be discouraged. It's not like you are building a huge international brand so perhaps it's not so important.

Since your first idea was to use color, I think you should go back to that. There's a lot of room to explore with colors.

Perhaps black only works better when you have a symbol for your identity (i.e the Nike symbol).

One image that helps me when I'm producing a graphic is this:

Color_Emotion_Guide22.png

But note that I only come to that when I already have the design figured out. And I think that's what's missing in yours, the design.

It comes from mostly an idea or a statement. "I'm a software developer" is a start, but what else can you say about you and the work you do? This sort of brainstorming will make it easier for you to come up with a symbol (be it concrete or abstract) that you can define your identity with, and have your MB letter accompany that symbol in an elegant fashion.

PS: I'm interested in what others may have said about your logo. Please post the links to the Reddit thread etc.

Well I'm sure you can come up with some shape that relates to software or IT in general. Pac-man, mouse cursor, enter key, ones and zeros, etc.If you come up with suitable one while developing your idea why not give it a try?

If I think of anything I'll certainly try.

Noticed you could build a lowercase m out of the B shape by turning it 90 degrees? Could you get something out of it?

Like this guy? (thanks for the link to google image search smile.png )

Just going to throw this out there: Your latest designs seem a little too similar to Milton Bradley as is.

I've heard a few people say that. It's a little unfortunate but I'm not too concerned by it.

Since mb letters like any letter combination isn't too rare you can actually just Google image search you don't have identical design as someone else. Doing that search is also good eye opener if one thinks combining letters alone is original ;)

Those search results are both inspiring and a little discouraging (as it's seeming quite cliché). But I guess since this is just a personal website/portfolio I'm not terribly concerned (as most of the MB logos are other people doing something similar to me; very few seem to be actual brands). But thanks for that link! When I just googled "mb" the results were a lot smaller. Should've put "logo" in there too when I did it.

Since your first idea was to use color, I think you should go back to that. There's a lot of room to explore with colors.
Perhaps black only works better when you have a symbol for your identity (i.e the Nike symbol).

I'm thinking of adding color, but I'm debating if I just want to add accents or do the whole logo in colors (not black+white). But that's an interesting graphic!

But note that I only come to that when I already have the design figured out. And I think that's what's missing in yours, the design.
It comes from mostly an idea or a statement. "I'm a software developer" is a start, but what else can you say about you and the work you do? This sort of brainstorming will make it easier for you to come up with a symbol (be it concrete or abstract) that you can define your identity with, and have your MB letter accompany that symbol in an elegant fashion.

I agree, thanks! I'll try to do some thinking.

PS: I'm interested in what others may have said about your logo. Please post the links to the Reddit thread etc.

Original reddit thread. Reworked reddit thread.

Feedback from my Facebook (not sure if comments are public or not):
Friend 1: I think it's cool, but a lot of logos are really simple. Like you could draw the logo for a lot of big brands really easily so maybe it should be more simple? Or maybe something with sharks and an explosion?
Sarcastic little brother: Needs more... Pop. Maybe add some drop shadow, gloss, fire, lens flare, and word art to it. /s
Cousin: It's cool how the letters overlap, but I would do it in a different way – maybe slightly offset from each other – instead of the diagonal lines. The diagonal lines distract and probably don't look as good when the logo is shrunk to a small size either...
(here I post this one to the comments, asking for more feedback)
Friend 1: Frikkin love it
Friend 2: Much improvement!
Cousin: It's great! Just two colors and pretty bold, so it can be shrunk to whatever size or be in whatever colors you need...

I'm loving everyone's feedback, by the way. Keep it coming!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement