• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
farmdve

Game loop timer to prevent game running faster.

This topic is 2150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Do they use that in modern 3D AAA games? For a simple 2D game anything suffices I guess, but I'd rather know how they do it now :) Thanks for the link btw.

every AAA game is built diffrently, their is no 1 grand way to build a game. some may choose to use a variable time step, others(myself included) prefer fixed rates. a fixed time step means that you caan ensure your simulation/game is going to behave in a fixed/predictable manner.  this imo makes it easier to build animation/networked games, as you can rely on the predictivness of a game that will only run at a very certain rate.

Edited by slicer4ever

A fixed timestep is basically required for physics so that's why I default to using it in general. You can still interpolate between states or even run two different update methods if you choose, one that only runs when a certain time has elapsed and one that updates each draw frame.

They're honestly not that different once you move past the loop part of it, the rest of the program is going to be expecting some kind of delta time either way unless you're timing by updates(something I highly recommend against since time is always as precise or more precise than just update iterations.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!