Free DAW?

Started by
6 comments, last by Promit 10 years, 7 months ago

Is there any good daw for creating music or it's really necessary to buy one?

Advertisement

Reaper is free for 60 days then you pay $60 for a full license. Fl Studio is pretty cheap also and once you buy i you can upgrade to the latest version for free. There are also ways to download DAWs for free but it pirating. If that doesn't bother you then that's another way to go.

Presonus Studio One comes in a pretty nice free version. In fact, except for non-native-64bit support and some missing gadgets, I hardly see a difference to the $$$ version... the free version is in my opinion perfectly usable smile.png

Plus, it doesn't confuse me nearly as much as most DAWs do (Reaper being one example). But of course this is something that depends on you. What one person finds confusing, another finds "perfect".

There's always Rosegarden.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Is there any good daw for creating music or it's really necessary to buy one?

It's not necessary to purchase one but keep in mind the really good sounds (for almost any genre) are 3rd party sample librarys which do cost money. Unless you're wanting (able) to track everything yourself, playing the actual instruments... you're going to need some virtual sounds. Also the old saying "you get what you paid for" often rings true.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

There are also ways to download DAWs for free but it pirating. If that doesn't bother you then that's another way to go.

Just use extreme caution here because if you end up producing music for any games and pirated software and you get caught - both you and any games using your material can be liable. I find it's best to just purchase things instead of pirating them. It's not worth the risk. If you're looking to just learn and experiment... it's less risky. Still not legal but less risky. :P

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

For sounds I recommend Synth1 (its free like free beer). It won't get you an orchestral piece but there is this 9000 preset pack around that pretty much gives you anything you'd want from a synth at first.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

For a long time I was waiting for this, and a couple months ago it happened:

317cbuw.png

Linux Multimedia Studio, an open-source, feature-packed FLStudio clone for Linux, was released for Win32 and Win64.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/download.php

- And like Madsen has said, you're going to have to spend money anyway if you want good samples. I am considering a library such as Goliath, which comes with a lot of high quality sounds and is not that expensive.

Reaper is interesting because their payment is on the honor system; they don't try to nag or lock or anything like that. Appreciate the software? Just pay the fee. That really makes it nice to work with for hobbyists, and frankly it's a great price for a pretty good DAW.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement