Sandbox Game - starting point

Started by
2 comments, last by DareDeveloper 10 years, 7 months ago

Could you show me some tutorials about creating sandbox games and a good point of start?

Is there some special tool good for begginer?

Advertisement

You first need to have a game to create a sandbox game. Most games incorporate sandbox as an extra gamemode in which the player can do whatever they want with out a strict adherance to any rules and complete access to everything in game.

Sandbox may also mean to allow the player to do whatever they want as a crucial design element. There's no central story and you are free to play the game as you wish. Minecraft is a good example of this.

There is no special tool to make any game. You first need to have an actual game idea( perhaps you can make a game that literally involves playing in a sandbox ).

I mean, that game can generate a random world, something like in Minecraft or Terraria.

I meant sandbox as completely freedom but with fact that world is always random, that's my small misinterpretation but thanks for making it correct.

Main question is how the world builder is made, randomness etc some articles about it and maybe tips and tutorials :)

You can follow some of the journals here for that.

Keywords that you might want to use for your research are: "procedural content generation".

Tools won't get you far, though.

Maybe at some point it might make sense to develop a software that generates content for games, but I guess currently there are not enough standards ... so authors of such a tool wouldn't know in what form they should create the content.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement