Strategic Terrain

Started by
13 comments, last by hossainiir 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi every one,

I want to create a simple 3D strategic game with my own engine now ,I want to know what techniques are exist for creating terrain and witch of those have the best performance and quality for STRATEGIC games!!

I should mention that I will create my engine with SlimDx with Direct3D 11 thus i can use the performance of tessellation.

Any idea will help me!

Thanks.

???? ?? ??? ????

Persian Gulf

Advertisement

Well since you mentioned Directx 11, then this might suit you for the terrain:

• Send a quad plane to the GPU, and then displacement map it from there. The great part in displacement mapping is that you can have a dynamic lod system in the GPU, and the loading time is really fast (A simple quad!)
  • On the CPU side, generate terrain vertices (Tut: http://www.rastertek.com/tertut02.html)
  • Voxel Terrain if you need complex types of terrain
  • Other methods that I don't know

But this also depends on what kind of features your terrain should support.

• All direction terrain: Voxel or Vector Displacement Maps
  • Static, Displacement mapping or generated (2nd)
  • Dynamic, I recommend displacement mapping, as you can overlap another texture for explosions n. stuff!

PS. What kind of strategy? top down, dynamic, etc?

Good Luck!

-MIGI0027

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

For the past ten years or so the best performance has come from GPU-based terrain. When that isn't possible terrain as a static model kept in video memory will give you a distant second in performance.

As Migi wrote above, if you are already accepting the additional tasks D3D11 requires with all the mandatory shaders then adding a terrain shader should be a relaxing jaunt.

There's lots of possibilities when it comes to creating terrain. One I have done recently utilizes simplex( or perlin ) noise generation for a heightmap which then in turn is generated into a map. It allows random map generation, but also allows you keep seeds and regenerate exact maps at any time.

You can also dive into it a bit further and compare the different height relationships at a per pixel basis to generate unique features( sudden change from black to white is a cliff and you can add a rocky texture over it with rocks. Subtle changes in the gray area could be sweeping hills with grass and trees, etc..

Thanks to all,

About the displacement map that MIGI said, I think we have some problems ,assume that we have a car on the terrain that moves from point A to point B,to finding the changes in height we must sample the the displacement map. now assume that we have 300~500 cars, i think this method cause to reduce texture bandwidth (this is just a think)!!!!!

But this also depends on what kind of features your terrain should support.
All direction terrain: Voxel or Vector Displacement Maps
Static, Displacement mapping or generated (2nd)
Dynamic, I recommend displacement mapping, as you can overlap another texture for explosions n. stuff!

I need the terrain to be dynamic.

???? ?? ??? ????

Persian Gulf

About the displacement map that MIGI said, I think we have some problems ,assume that we have a car on the terrain that moves from point A to point B,to finding the changes in height we must sample the the displacement map. now assume that we have 300~500 cars, i think this method cause to reduce texture bandwidth (this is just a think)!!!!!

i was just dealing with this issue myself.

all entity / unit / target movement for ground targets will need to reference game specific height map data of some sort, to set the "altitude" of the unit at its new position. for this reason, ground unit movement can not be totally de-coupled from game specific height map data, even using generic rectilinear kinematics. game specific collision checks during stepped movement is another intractable coupling between generic unit movement and game specific data.

its often a good idea to keep two separate representations of the world, one for graphics, and one for physics. using the graphics representation for doing physics stuff can sometimes be inefficient. using two representations can help address the issue you mention above.

you'll only need voxels to do arches and overhangs and stuff. if you don't need those, you can use a displacement mapped mesh of quads. since you're displacement mapping in the vertex shader, its automatically dynamic, based on the displacement map you use - which you can modify as needed before drawing.

for small maps you can use a single level map or chunks, made by hand in an editor.

for really big maps, you'll probably want to go procedurally generated heightmap and chunks.

texturing is just a matter of how bleeding edge you want to get.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Thanks Norman Barrows,

With all descriptions ,seems that the best technique is to use displacement map.

???? ?? ??? ????

Persian Gulf

I think the DetailTessellation11 sample in directx sdk is a good sample that i can use it to create terrain for strategic games but i need to make some changes in code and algorithm(i think) , for example i need to divide the quad to small quads for culling.

Any idea??

excuse for bad english.

???? ?? ??? ????

Persian Gulf

Ahh!

But maybe you don't need culling, you could base the amount of tessellation on the distance from the eyeposition to the vertex position (modal space).

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

But maybe you don't need culling, you could base the amount of tessellation on the distance from the eyeposition to the vertex position (modal space).

I think this is good idea for small terrain but for large terrain i don't think so.

???? ?? ??? ????

Persian Gulf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement