• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Goepel

BUG: GetMethodByDecl for Template Objects

This topic is 2139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I discovered this bug while calling GetMethodByDecl on a Template Object.

This seems to be the problem loop (as_builder.cpp: line 4371, asCBuilder::CreateDataTypeFromNode:

// If this is for a template type, then we must first determine if the
// identifier matches any of the template subtypes
if( currentType && (currentType->flags & asOBJ_TEMPLATE))
{
    for( asUINT subtypeIndex = 0; subtypeIndex < currentType->templateSubTypes.GetLength(); subtypeIndex++)
    {
        if(str == currentType->templateSubTypes[subtypeIndex].GetObjectType()->name )
        {
            ot = currentType->templateSubTypes[subtypeIndex].GetObjectType();
            break;
        }
    }
}

In that loop, currentType->templateSubTypes[0] looks like the following:

tokenType       ttDouble (0x0000005a)
objectType      0x0000000000000000 
funcDef         0x0000000000000000 
isReference     false	
isReadOnly      false	
isObjectHandle  false
isConstHandle   false
dummy           0xfc 'ü'

So, obviously, the call to ->name on a NULL objectType results in an access violation.

This is the relevant part of my callstack:

• asCString::GetLength() Line 226
  • asCString::Compare(const asCString & str) Line 296
  • !operator==(const asCString & a, const asCString & b) Line 350
  • AngelScript::asCBuilder::CreateDataTypeFromNode(AngelScript::asCScriptNode * node, AngelScript::asCScriptCode * file, AngelScript::asSNameSpace * implicitNamespace, bool acceptHandleForScope, AngelScript::asCObjectType * currentType) Line 4377
  • AngelScript::asCBuilder::ParseFunctionDeclaration(AngelScript::asCObjectType * objType, const char * decl, AngelScript::asCScriptFunction * func, bool isSystemFunction, AngelScript::asCArray<bool> * paramAutoHandles, bool * returnAutoHandle, AngelScript::asSNameSpace * ns) Line 963
  • AngelScript::asCScriptEngine::GetMethodIdByDecl(const AngelScript::asCObjectType * ot, const char * decl, AngelScript::asCModule * mod) Line 1221
  • AngelScript::asCObjectType::GetMethodByDecl(const char * decl, bool getVirtual) Line 512

Changing the loop to the following seems to correct the problem in my situation, but I don't know if it would have other ramifications.

// If this is for a template type, then we must first determine if the
// identifier matches any of the template subtypes
if( currentType && (currentType->flags & asOBJ_TEMPLATE))
{
    for( asUINT subtypeIndex = 0; subtypeIndex < currentType->templateSubTypes.GetLength(); subtypeIndex++)
    {
        ot = currentType->templateSubTypes[subtypeIndex].GetObjectType();
        if( ot != nullptr && str == currentType->templateSubTypes[subtypeIndex].GetObjectType()->name )
            break;
        else
            ot = nullptr;
    }
}

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!