• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
J

A little adventure with the Android NDK

This topic is 2139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear gamedev community, After several years spent to reading you, it is with some emotion that I write my first ad.
I developed a simple little game available on the play Google I will wish to share with you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.spilab.sudoku

Yes it is yet another sudoku !

In this first application on google play, I had no idea particularly original game in mind. So I embarked on a challenge to say the least suicidal.
Attempt to make popular a sudoku game on a market already completely saturated.And all cases take pleasure in developing a small software.

Technically I used something quite different from most other sudoku. I used the NDK and OpenGL ES 2.0 to display the game and the main menu. This allows a slowly animated landscape. With paralax scrolling. I have endeavored to optimize my code. Using the atlas texture and limiting draw call for example. I used android profiler. And also the profiler integrated in code::block. The project also works under Windows. With the PowerVR SDK to emulate the display in OpenGL ES. The animations are smooth on most phones. And the game only uses a small portion of the CPU/GPU. This should hopefully reduce the impact on the battery.

Honestly it probably adds nothing for the players. This has especially helped me to learn a little more about the NDK and shaders. I use shaders mainly for batching the rendering.

To try to distinguish my sudoku from others, I made the following choices :
- Show grid in full screen, without any buttons. To make the game more readable.
- Only the number selector appears when you need to fill the puzzle.
- The game uses a few more gestures than its competitors. For example it is possible to slide a number.

All reviews is welcome and I will probably be useful. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jerome

PS : Sorry for my bloody english.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!